The schedule of 2011 USMS open-water national championships is now available. I did the “grand tour” this year – and it was fun – but I had no plans to replicate it next year. Unfortunately, this schedule makes it look as if USMS is trying to prevent people from doing them all:
- June 12 – 10K – Fort Myers, FL
- June 18 – 25K – Noblesville, IN
- June 25 – 5K – Coney Island, NY
- July 3 – 1 mile – Sweet Home, OR
- August 13 – 2-mile (cable) – Lake Placid, NY
- August 20 – 2.4-mile – Madison, WI
That’s right – 4 of the 6 national championships are on four consecutive weekends! Even better, the marathon, ultra-marathon, and half-marathon distances (10K, 25K, and 5K) are on three consecutive weekends.
Some other interesting co-incidences (in the literal sense), especially relevant to marathon swimmers:
- the Fort Myers 10K – June 12 – same day as the 4.4-mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim
- the Noblesville 25K – June 18 – same day as the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
For open-water swimmers, it always seems like the days of summer are too few. This really takes that sentiment to an entirely new level!