And, the standards for the 5K are surprisingly doable! 9:08 for 800m or 17:29 for 1500m? I think even I could do these times with a decent taper behind me…?
In order to compete in the USA Swimming 2011 Open Water Championships, a swimmer must have:
- Finished in the top 15 at a 2010-11 FINA World Cup Race, or
- Finished in the top 10 at the 2010 USA Swimming 5K or 10K National Championships, or
- Attended the 2011 Open Water Developmental Camp (by invitation only), or
- Achieved the following pool times standard(s) between April 1, 2009 and the entry deadline1500 LCM 800 LCM 1650 SCY 1000 SCY Women 5K Race Qualifying Times 18:20.89 9:35.99 17:57.39 10:43.19 Men 5K Race Qualifying Times 17:29.89 9:08.99 16:59.39 10:10.99 Women 10K Race Qualifying Times 17:20.49 9:03.49 16:48.49 10:05.99 Men 10K Race Qualifying Times 16:15.49 8:35.59 15:51.49 9:26.09
- Athletes who meet these times standards will be permitted to enter the Open Water National Championships.
- Proof of time is required from a USA Swimming sanctioned/approved meet or from a USA Swimming observed
- performance. Converted times will not be allowed.