SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.—An international review panel ratified five marathon swims submitted to the Marathon Swimmers Federation (MSF) as part of the inaugural year of its Documented Swims program. The panel also endorsed Chloё McCardel as the World Record holder for Longest Unassisted Ocean Swim.
All ratified swims were independently observed, exhaustively documented, and conducted according to the highest standards of transparency and integrity.
This year’s review panel consisted of fifteen esteemed marathon swimmers from seven countries:
- David Barra (United States) – Co-founder of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim and Triple Crown marathon swimmer.
- Donal Buckley (Ireland) – Author of award-winning blog LoneSwimmer, MSF co-founder, English Channel and Manhattan Island soloist.
- Anne Cleveland (United States) – Honour Swimmer, International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame.
- Sylvain Estadieu (France) – first male to swim the English Channel butterfly.
- Elaine Howley (United States) – Co-founder of Massachusetts Open Water Swimming Association and Triple Crown marathon swimmer.
- Andrew Hunt (Australia) – Triple Crown marathon swimmer and 11x Rottnest Channel soloist.
- Andrew Malinak (United States) – MSF Rules co-author and one of only three ever to finish all seven stages of the 8 Bridges Hudson River Swim in the same year.