Presenting the top 10 excuses for not finishing a marathon swim you never seem to hear….
10. Quite simply, I decided I didn’t want to swim anymore.
9. I lack persistence, and have a hard time finishing things I start.
8. I got sick — not because the waves were 10 feet high and thrashing me around, but because I drank too much the night before.
7. I am a really slow swimmer even when I’m fresh. When I get tired, I literally stop making progress in the water.
6. I stopped after the first leg of my planned/announced two-way, because the solid ground felt sooo good and I didn’t want to get back in the water.
5. Marathon swimming is stupid.
4. I was hopelessly naive, and didn’t have any idea what I was getting in to.
3. I had to poo, but was too embarrassed to do it in front of my crew.
2. I didn’t really care about finishing anyway — it was more about getting publicity and attention for myself for just attempting it.
1. I didn’t train enough.…