A few more volleys in the debate, from:
- Dave Barra, triple-crown swimmer & 8 Bridges founder;
- Paul Lundgren, owner of the F2R wetsuit company;
- Donal Buckley (a.k.a. LoneSwimmer), English Channel soloist;
- Karen Throsby, English Channel & Catalina soloist;
- Katie the Water Girl;
- and then, this morning, a follow-up from Scott Zornig himself.
First, thanks to Scott for the generous mention of my post from a few days ago.
In Dave’s response, he emphasizes maintaining a clear distinction between channel-rules swims and performance-enhanced (i.e., wetsuited) swims, but stops short of agreeing with Scott that wetsuited swimming “isn’t swimming.” An important question remains:
If wetsuited swimming is “swimming,” what specifically distinguishes it from channel-rules swimming, and how does this affect how we judge achievements in each category?…