END-WET 2015 Registration is Open

The END-WET 36 mile swim race is now open for registration.

www.endracing.org

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    edited November 2014
    Just saw that END-Wet is scheduled for 20 June 2015. Registration is supposed to open on 2 January 2015.
    36 miles of more fun than anyone has a right to have.
    Link to main page for End-Wet

-LBJ
    Mandai

• So how crazy would it be to do this as my first marathon swim...or really my first open water swim period (besides a few triathlons ages ago)?

I live in Manitoba and END-WET is one of the few races that I could drive to. I live in a city on the Red River and the idea of swimming in it weirds me out, but after reading some reviews of it it sounds like the river is cleaner than I thought and like it would be a lot of fun!

I just started training a month ago (I'm a former competitive swimmer but I've been out of the water for 10 years) and as of now I'm up to 5k per week in three short pool sessions, but I'm upping it every week and can probably get up to doing 10-12k per week, hopefully more. I'd be unlikely to get more than one or two open water sessions in before late June. Would this be enough? Does END-WET have qualifications that you have to meet?
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    You should give it a try Deema, it's a very well organized, casual, fun and memorable event. As a former competitive swimmer that has been out of the water I'm sure you'll still finish. And still be faster than a former competitive cyclist in the water for the last ten years. It's down stream and as such not as crazy as it sounds.
    10-12k per week might be a might low though, unless you really want to wing it. Aim to get at least a few 10km+/- ish km long sessions. I'm not aware of any qualifiers and know of previous participants that didn't have any notable long distance OWS experience. The water is rather flat, not choppy, so you will not struggle that much from the transition from pool to "OWS". But you need to learn to navigate as the river twists and turns at times and there might be a dead branch/tree or two you could bump into as I did.
  • Thanks for the response, I think I can do it! Training right now is wedged in between my infant's feedings (still breast fed) but I think I'll be able to increase my mileage once she's on solid food. I think I'll give myself a few more weeks to mull it over, but I'm surprised how much I want to do it! I used to have recurring nightmares about drowning in the red river as a kid haha so maybe this will be therapeutic!
  • As one who is neither fast nor a former competitive swimmer.. consistency is key. I did ENDWET last year on less training than anyone should probably do. Not that I didn't have a few "moments" .. but it is incredibly low key and supportive.
    You won't know unless you try.
    Try. You won't regret it.
    IronMikeRanie
  • Thanks Suzie! I'm definitely leaning towards yes at this point...
  • Hi Deema ... definitely do it if you haven't signed up already. This will be my third time and I love it. Granted you can't see your hand in front of your face in the water, but it's turbidity, not gluck. The camaraderie is contagious amongst your fellow swimmers. If you can, though, I would step up the training distances; it's still a long day in the water. You just have to have the mindset of ... "I think I'll just swim all day today!" and then do it.
    IronMikeDeema
  • I'm still considering it! I really want to but I'm just worrying about leaving my baby for that long (she'll still be breastfeeding in June). I'll think about it for a couple more weeks, in the meantime I'm upping my mileage in the pool. If I don't sign up this year I'll be the first one registering in 2016!

END-WET is this Saturday (20 June). You can follow it at: END-WET 2015
    Looks like a good turn-out. The river is high, although not nearly as high as last year. Looks like rain on Friday night, but only partially cloudy on Saturday. Water temp is about 70 degrees F. Race starts at 7 AM, North Dakota time.

Word of experience here: The bus is leaving Grand Forks at 6 am. With the race starting at 7 am, you will be very hard pressed to get all your prep done once you get to the start. Whatever prep you can do on the bus while driving there (without making a mess) or even before you get on the bus, will go a long way in making the pre-race period smoother. I really had to hustle last year - with huge thanks to @ChickenOSea for the assist - or I'd still be at the start prepping.

Good luck to everyone swimming!

-LBJ

ssthomas

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

@Leonard_Jansen- My niece will be picking me up at the finish (with hope I get there!). So can I just meet everyone at the start instead of going to the end and taking the bus back?

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

@molly1205: I think as long as you're checked in, you can do whatever you want to get to the start of the race. My kayaker is picking me up so I don't have to take the bus in the morning. He's leaving his stuff at the start and his girlfriend will help him get it later.

molly1205

molly1205 said:
    @Leonard_Jansen- My niece will be picking me up at the finish (with hope I get there!). So can I just meet everyone at the start instead of going to the end and taking the bus back?

I think a few people did that last year. Just ask Andy Magness about it at the pre-race meeting on Friday night. I doubt it will be an issue.

Also, fair warning: If they have the pre-race meeting at the Dakota Harvest Bakery, beware of the semi-sweet sea salt chocolate chip cookies. I swear they put crack in them.

Have your kayakers tell you if they see any bald eagles flying over, or fishing in, the river. Well worth a few backstroke strokes to watch them.

-LBJ

gregocJustSwimmjstaples

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Congrats to all the END Wetters!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Here is a link to pictures from the race on Saturday, taken by Wes Peck. Wes and his wife Carmen are two of the nicest people who put a LOT of time and energy into volunteering for all of the END events. They host swimmers, take pictures, and were up from about 3:30 am until 11 pm on race day making sure everyone was well taken care of. This event is worth it, just to meet the Pecks!

https://flic.kr/s/aHske6bmUU

Leonard_Jansen

And here is the link to the DNOWS about the race. Lots of really great swimmers from all over were there.

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2015/06/when-end-is-not-in-sight.html

lakespray

Great pics! Thanks!

-LBJ

lakespray

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited June 2015

From someone who thinks there a bit of a photog themselves, I have to agree really great photo's. I know I'm just repeating what many others have said about this event, but really great and gracious hosts for this unique event.

More media coverage
    kvrr.com/news/local-news/Grand-Forks-Extreme-Swim/33700592