Ultimate Waterman

bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
Interesting concept, but... no open water swimming?

http://theultimatewaterman.com/disciplines

Comments

• tortugatortuga Senior Member
    I agree. What's up with that?
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    We OW swimmers fall under The Pinnacle of Watermen.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• andissandiss Senior Member
    As a surfer myself I am surprised of the lack of swimming within the surf culture - there are some old stories about national team members on one of the european teams - they could surf really well but not swim - they kind of just doggie paddled in their wetsuits to the beach if they lost the board.

I'd suggest the Ironman in surf lifesaving is a more competent waterman (or woman) + add a bit of surfing

• NiccNicc TennesseeMember
    Does "waterman" have a specific meaning in NZ? Does it just mean someone who uses a watercraft? Because otherwise it seems like a really bad choice of name for something with such a glaring omission.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Back in my State lifeguarding days in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, we used to compete with LA County and a couple of times with Australia Lifeguards....and I believe we had a good mix of waterman events at those iron man carnivals/competitions....swimming/rowing/paddling were the main events....many of us were accomplished surfers as well....the ausies were strong in all areas....I could swim ok in rough ocean conditions...but excelled in paddling and rowing to compensate...Fred Haywood an Olympic backstroker from Maui, who guarded with me, was a good surfer as well and held the world speed record for wind surfing for years (trained at hookepa Maui)....so I think waterman should include being in, on top of and maybe even under the water....I was thinking a real waterman should be able to paddle out at Waimea Bay, Ride a Waimea wave back in, swim back out though the surf and body surf back in...that would be a waterman!!!
    evmoDanSimonelli

"I never met a shark I didn't like"