David Yudovin

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2015 in General Discussion

Terrible news out of Central California: David Yudovin passed away suddenly yesterday, at his home in Cambria.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/03/29/3562562/swimmer-david-yudovin-cambria.html

Dave was one of the most admired, inspirational, and influential marathon swimmers, and a friend to MSF. We will miss him greatly.

AnthonyMcCarleyloneswimmerIronMikeTheo

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

As I have seen a swan

With bootless labour swim against the tide

And spend her strength with over-matching waves.

RIP, David. You're swimming with the tide now.

JustSwimAnthonyMcCarley

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

Really shocking. I never met him, but he was the first Channel swimmer to stay with David & Evelyn in Varne Ridge, whom I know held him in the highest esteem and affection and told many stories of visiting him in California. Not to mention his towering reputation.

DanSimonellisuziedodsAnthonyMcCarley

loneswimmer.com

• TheoTheo Oxnard, CAMember

He was just a great human being. He was a wonderful ambassador of the sport. His support of swimming is truly inspirational. But even more impressive to me is that I am amazed at the diverse group of people that David and his wife Beth have met, befriended and supported outside of the swimming community. Many of us will miss him greatly.

evmoDanSimonellisuziedodsAnthonyMcCarley
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber
    edited March 2015

Here is a clip of David getting onboard their green sailboat (with Beth!) at the end of Suzie Dods swim (skip to 8:48)

suziedodsAnthonyMcCarleySydneD
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

A stalwart example...Live life to the fullest!

Unfinished business. He was so excited about taking the IMSHOF to another level.

I got to know him over the last several months working to create some events, and he was the consummate team builder and leader...showing how to get things done! A catalyst.

A loss beyond measure.

TheosuziedodsAnthonyMcCarleyphodgeszoho
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

He saved my Catalina swim and did so selflessly. EVERY stroke I took with him alongside me, all I saw was a this huge smile. A loss beyond measure indeed. Reeling. True old school,supportive yet quiet and a huge influence.

molly1205TheoAnthonyMcCarleyLeadhyena
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2015

A memorial service and paddle out in honor of David will be held this Friday, April 3rd at 3pm, at Leffingwell Park in Cambria.

Starting today, and continuing through the month of April, we will honor David's life and contributions to the sport of marathon swimming by featuring his photo on the main MSF homepage. This photo is previously unreleased, given by his wife Beth for this purpose. It portrays David in 2008, preparing to go for a swim at Catalina Island -- the location of one of his first marathon swims back in 1976.

You can see it here:

http://marathonswimmers.org

gregocAnthonyMcCarleyjkormanik
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Images from the memorial service. Thanks to @VanMou

IMG-20150403-00809
    IMG-20150403-00810

TheogregocAnthonyMcCarleyAquaRob
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2015

Photos by @VanMou --

John Pittman (Catalina pilot)

IMG-20150403-00812

Prep for Paddleout

IMG-20150403-00815

Rib and Wreath

IMG-20150403-00817

gregocAnthonyMcCarleyAquaRob
  • VanMouVanMou San Luis Obispo, CASenior Member
    edited April 2015

I attended the memorial for David Yudovin on Friday at Leffingwell Park. David and Beth are deeply embedded in their community of Cambria, and there was much evidence of this at the gathering.

Grief and Celebration (of David's life) were present in equal measures. Many spoke of their experiences with and of David.
    David’s father stood and spoke a few words. His love and respect for his son were evident. He was obviously moved when he spoke his last words to the group: “He was a good kid”.

evmo