2S4L 2015

mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member

with a week remaining before the brutally relentless mile on the hour every hour for 24 hours at Guildford

who else is in. ?

I will be there Friday to hopefully meet the usual suspects and some new eejits ready to punish themselves !

ZoeSadler

Comments

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

I'm guessing that I am one of the new eejits ready to punish themselves!

Don't really know what to expect but I do have 24 swimming costumes ready, which I find quite disturbing.

mpfmarktortuga
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member

hahaha I would class you as one of the usual suspects. be great to see you. probably Friday as we are different waves.
    who else is going

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I SOO want to do this at some point..
    Call me crazy.

Cole_G
  • JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

Wish you'd entered Suzie, we'd love to have had you here. Will reserve your place as #1 for next time :-)

suziedods
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member

More info on this swim please. Where? when? How?

tortuga said:

It's very simple.
    Swim a mile.
    On the hour
    For 24 hours.

I suspect the actual execution of this may be a little more complicated.

The event takes place at Guildford Lido, a 50m outdoor pool in Guildford (South East England) this weekend. More info on the event is here

suziedods

tortuga said:

I wrote it up markswims.com

• ollieollie Member

I'll be there, looking forward to it!

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Another "new eejit" here. See you there. :-)

mpfmark

yes I noticed your name in lane 1 Ollie with the speed merchants !

see you Friday Phil

phodgeszoho

I feel, in retrospect, that I may have underestimated the mind numbing mental and physical brutality of a 2S4L solo... I strongly feel in future that this event should be required by law to display a much larger and more detailed health warning... ;-)

HelbeIronMikeZoeSadlerevmo
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Congrats on completing Phil. I think the event is as brutal on the soloist support crew. I certainly felt for mine! Now, onto the main events eh ;-)

phodgeszohoZoeSadler

You too Helen. At least you were able to stay awake through breakfast... :-/

Helbe

I genuinely believe that this is one of the best events on the calendar over here in the UK.It's totally brutal. But so much fun too!

If I were to do it again, I would probably take a couple of days off work beforehand (or even a week) and spend that period eating and sleeping.

Congratulations to @helbe and @phodgeszoho for completing the 24 hours. I managed 14 hours and was still really pleased with that.

However, now that I understand the challenge I shall be back in 2017 to finish the job off!

evmoKatieBunphodgeszohoHelbesuziedods

At the risk of seeming to blow one's trumpet, and strictly speaking it maybe doesnt count as a "marathon" swim, I have asserted its the "toughest pool challenge in the world." If perhaps you wish to contest that, then come join us in 2017 and let's see.......Many congrats to all those who took part, supportted and helped. The huge number of great pictures all over Facebook on the DYST group show how well it went and what a lovely pool we are blessed to have here in Guildford.

HelbephodgeszohosuziedodsTimDex
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2015

JimBoucher said:
    The huge number of great pictures all over Facebook on the DYST group show how well it went and what a lovely pool we are blessed to have here in Guildford.

Feel free to upload any photo highlights to the Forum. Simply click the blue icon at the top-left of the formatting bar, select a photo from your PC, and voila!

Congrats to all!

IronMikeHelbesuziedods
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

ZoeSadler said:

However, now that I understand the challenge I shall be back in 2017 to finish the job off!

JimBoucher said:
    If perhaps you wish to contest that, then come join us in 2017 and let's see........

I've seen 2017 twice. Is this a once every two years event?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

@IronMike - Yes, only occurs every second year. Gives people who swore they would never do it again time to forget that and sign up all over again... ;-)

slknightIronMikeHelbesuziedodsSpacemanspiff

phodgeszoho said:
    @IronMike - Yes, only occurs every second year. Gives people who swore they would never do it again time to forget that and sign up all over again... ;-)

I see you are already thinking positively about 2017 Phil :))

ZoeSadler said:
    I genuinely believe that thisI managed 14 hours and was still really pleased with that.

Zoe, 14 miles is awesome in itself. You will absolutely smash it next time.

phodgeszoho

@helbe I will definitely be back in 2017 but to pay my dues not to swim. Either supporting Andrew in a solo attempt or if he chooses not to then someone else. :-)

suziedodsHelbe

@phodgeszoho... I hope to attempt this in 2017... I am pencilling you in as 'crew". I like tea and hot buttered scones.. :)

mpfmarkHelbe

2017 why not !

Over 28000 GBP raised for charity this year - another good reason to enter.

TimDexphodgeszoho

Incredible fundraising from the collective 2S4L swim community. Thanks for the update @JimBoucher.
    Awesome event and I am planning to be there in 2017 - there is talk of a three person relay, but would be happy to crew if that falls through. Maybe full distance solo again in 2019 hahaha!

phodgeszoho
  • TimDexTimDex Member

I might be ready to come back to ol'Blighty by 2017 to see 'family' again ... dont ask! Its two weeks of hell and grimacing smiles :)
    If the trip happens to co-inside with 2S4L, gosh, what a co-incidence, my family will be shocked. Added advantage, the wife and I could realy it and be both swimmers and support for each other! Website duly bookmarked!

Helbe

@Suziedods You may want to rethink that... I don't drink tea so I am notoriously bad at making it. ;-)

Helbesuziedods

@phodgeszoho.... that's ok.. hot choc is fine as well.

Helbephodgeszoho