Europe - Most enjoyable race?

Thought just start a new discussion of a verdict/recommendation of the most enjoyable OW race/swim to do.
My plans are set for only local(Ireland) swims 2015 but looking further a field for 2016

Not just the swim but even atmosphere around the race and easy of travel - family friendly etc?

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I've only done three in Europe, and loved them each differently, but I'd say my #1 was:

Christiansbourg Round, in Copenhagen. Swim 2k (or 10K) around the Danish Parliament. The Danes are so freaking welcoming and Copenhagen is a great town. Go to Tivoli.

My #2 would be the Dart 10K. Dartmouth is a great town filled with these magical places called pubs where the sexy and friendly bartenders call you "Love" and pour you Guinness after Guinness.

Helbe

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• andissandiss Senior Member

What was number 3? :-)

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

andiss said:
    What was number 3? :-)

A 5K in Cyprus. It was also a good swim, but unbeknownst to me, it was mostly for fast 17-18 year olds. The closest to my age was something like 21, and I was 43 at the time. They gave me #1 due to my age, so several Ukrainian swimmers thought I was really good. Actual discussion:

-18 yr old female Ukrainian swimmer: So, you are doing the half marathon?
    -Me: Yes
    -Swimmer: I am aiming for 1:04
    -Me: I am aiming for the same numbers, only in this order, 1:40.
    -Swimmer: [Shocked look]

Go to my blog, click on Resume, then click on the Cyprus.

Pasquale

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

toroneos-gulf, Greece.
    http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/975/anyone-done-this-race-in-greece-international-swimming-marathon-of-toroneos-gulf/p1#Comment_15015

Sandown Shanklin (isle of Wight) Pier to Pier

Forget all the big organised ones - horrible.

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

My favourite swims:

East Dorset Open Water Swimming Club - Seahorse Swim 3.8K. Location is stunning, and such a friendly event. I'm back for my 4th time in June.

Jubilee River Swim 10K. Lovely swim, lovely scenery with an unusual highlight being swimming under the M4 motorway bridge near Slough!

Chillswim Coniston 5.25 miles. Beautiful location in the Lake District and they make it into a great event too, before and after the swim. I'm back for my 3rd time in September. Very rare for me to recommend a mass participation event, but it's very well organised and doesn't seem crowded.

BLDSA Champion of Champions in Dover Harbour. It's worth doing this one (at least) once in your lifetime.

Lough Allua in Ireland. I did this one as part of Ned's Distance week last year. My favourite swim of the week - absolutely loved it.

Sadly, I can't count to one, so there's 5 swims instead. Also going to add in BLDSA Windermere to finish off!

• There are good swims everywhere: try Transfronterera (France-Spain in the Med - nedaelmon.com) defi-montecristo.com (Marseille), the OceanMantra swims in Spain. There's good stuff everywhere. Check out openwaterswimming.eu and don't get me started on the South Pacific... oceanswims.com

• Damn autocorrect... oceanman

• andissandiss Senior Member

ZoeSadler said:
    My favourite swims:

Lough Allua in Ireland. I did this one as part of Ned's Distance week last year. My favourite swim of the week - absolutely loved it.

Sadly, I can't count to one, so there's 5 swims instead. Also going to add in BLDSA Windermere to finish off!

Yeah ive signed up for Lough Allua this year. Should be good!

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

The Lake Zurich Marathon Swim was fantastic, and great for my family too. Easy to get to, super well organized, and a great crowd.
    You have to apply through the lottery, but it's definitely worth throwing your hat into the ring.

IronMikeHelbe
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    edited May 2015

Loch Allua Swim is awesome!

Be warned though, the "map" they draw on the whiteboard, along with the detailed swim brief "turn left at the reeds, turn right at the cabin" etc., I suspect is designed to give the locals an advantage. ;-)