Three Rivers Marathon Swim (3RMS) - Pittsburgh - 2015

ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
edited February 2017 in Event Announcements

Greetings from the City of Steel, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania!

On August 1, 2015 the following hearty individuals will be attempting to conquer the mighty Ohio, Monongahela and Allegheny for 30km during the 2nd Annual Three Rivers Marathon Swim (3RMS). We couldn't be more excited to continue building on the success from last year's event with Janet Manning, Melodee Nugent and Anthony McCarley. I feel very confident that 2016 will be our first, true international race, where we will officially open up the field to many more swimmers after another year of trials to make sure we get it right. Cheers to success, happiness and a wonder 2015! Keep on swimming...

Sarah Thomas, Colorado
Kristin Jones, Arizona
Michelle Roth-Nelson, Florida
Kim Plewa, New Jersey
Jim Clifford, Maryland
Chris Greene, Georgia
John Humenik, Pennsylvania

For more information, please visit: www.darren-miller.com.

www.darren-miller.com
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Tagged:
Leonard_JansenssthomasIronMikeChrisgreenejroyerJBirrrd

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Can't wait for this! :-)

Chrisgreene
  • ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

It will be Great! Thanks Darren!

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I hadn't seen an update here on the 3RMS, so thought I'd do a quick race recap.

First off- this is a beautiful swim. There are about a million cool old bridges to swim under and a fun mix of urban swimming and swimming in nature. It was surprising to me how quickly city turned to trees and back again. I also got my fair share of backstroke in swimming under the bridges- probably the most backstroke I've done in one day EVER!

It started with a pre-race meeting on Friday evening, that I missed. Fortunately, Darren and Alli were able to give me the run down pretty quickly and John Humenik walked me to where the start was. The race course is pretty simple- Start in the Allegheny, swim about a 6k out into the Ohio, swim around the island and back to the Monongahela. Swim a 5k up the Monagahela, turn around and swim back to the Allegheny. Swim a 5k up the river and a 4k back to the finish, for a 30k total. Since we had two kayakers each (I had my amazing sister Melody and the wonderful Alli to look after me) and a pretty straight forward course, I wasn’t worried about getting lost.

Saturday morning, we all met around 6:15 at the start and got started pretty much right on time at 7:30 am. Just before the race started, John asked if I’d like to swim together for the day. It seemed like a good idea, so after a short tactical discussion about feed schedules (he feeds every 20 minutes to my 30), we were all set.
    We all jumped in for the start, Darren gave us a 10 second count down (before I had a chance to finish peeing!), and we were off. The water was 80 degrees, which is boiling hot for me, but I think the others were fine with it. Four of us, myself, John, Kristin and Chris, swam together for the first 40 minutes or so. After that, John and I slowly pulled away, though Kristin and Chris were never too far behind. It was Kimberly’s longest swim ever, and reports were that she was happy for the entire swim.

John and I managed to swim happily together all day. Well, it was happily on my end. You’d have to ask him to be sure about his opinion. We fell into a pretty good rhythm pretty early on and seemed to hold a steady pace throughout the day. I never got overly hot since there was some pretty decent cloud cover off and on most of the day. We had my feeds on dry ice, so they were delightfully cold all day. One of my favorite moments of the day was when we came around the point from the Mon into the Allegheny, we saw John’s dad and sister cheering us on. His sister even jumped in for a little to swim with us. Turns out she took a turn with all of us throughout the day.

The only time I noticed the boat traffic was the last 10k in the Allegheny, but our kayakers did a great job of keeping the boats away, so other than the occasional terrifying underwater whir of a quickly approaching boat and then the following waves from their wake, it wasn’t too stressful. We caught a little current the last hour on the Allegheny, which was nice. As we approached the finish, John started to sprint, so I had to sprint harder to catch up. We tagged the finish buoy together at 7 hours and 48 minutes. That’s definitely the longest I’ve ever swum side by side with someone- and I have to say it was pretty fun. John and I both had moments we were struggling, and it was nice (at least for me) to have someone else there to share it with.

Darren ran a really fun race- it was well supported and organized. I’m sure there are a million things to consider if he opens it up to more than 5 of us, but I really hope he can get everything nailed down for the future because this is a swim worth swimming! And, as it always is, it was fun to meet new swimmers and to hear about where they were at in their swimming journeys.

Thanks for a great swim, Darren!

evmoLeonard_Jansendpm50jroyerOnceaRunnerJustSwimJBirrrdnabilradismuqattash
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

John is in my master's swim group and he does us proud! Won the 9 mile swim in Ocean City, MD, and a video I saw of his finish shows, the two of you looked so strong I figured you were going to jump out of the river and go out dancing!

I'm in awe!