DeLorme vs SPOT for swim tracking

SPOT Messengers seem to be a fairly popular option in our community for GPS tracking of swims.

The other main player in this market is DeLorme. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a DeLorme device for swim tracking? They have two models, the InReach Explorer and the InReach SE.

The DeLormes are more expensive than SPOT but seem to have more features. I think DeLorme also uses a different satellite network.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

i bought a delorme a bunch of years back.... too complicated for my brain. i gave it away.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• caburkecaburke Charter Member

I don't know if the DeLorme has this feature but if you're a boater or hiker, the added benefit of the SPOT is that is does have a distress signal mode. I carry my SPOT anytime I'm away from shore on my boat as my backup in case I have a problem.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

The delorme I bought has a spot as well.... I'll dig it out and provide some more useful commentary

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

Their performances and specifications are converging so that they will soon offer almost identical functionality including satellite-initiated distress messages. Delorme's use of the Iridium constellation seems to give it slightly better coverage in some areas but to be honest these are well off the beaten track anyway.

• JenAJenA Charter Member
    edited July 2015

My SPOT just died. Although the devices are reported to be waterproof for 30 minutes at 3 feet/1 m, apparently sitting on top of the kayak was too much for it. :-(!!! We were only one force 1-2.

I called customer service just now, and they offered me two things:

– The device must have the USB cover tightly affixed to be considered water resistant. I am not sure how reasonable this expectation is. I am pretty convinced it was closed when I put it on the kayak, but it would have been exposed to the waves

– SPOT offers a replacement program for $18 US and $30 US for claim fee.

Seems DeLorme has a USB port as well though.