Just a thought - A "Social" Section?

I'm not sure if the software here would facilitate it or our erstwhile @Evmo and @loneswimmer would even want it, butsinc e human beings are social creatures (except me), would there be any interest in separate section that was purely social? No swimming content necessary and maybe keep religion, politics and other contentious issues to a minimum (or not, if you like to argue, but it does make for problems).

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

dpm50

Comments

• The MSF forum strikes me as socially gregarious around the topic of swimming and its many tributaries.
    I like the focus.

On the USMS forums, the long-running thread, "What kind of cars/etc. do you drive?," has been on the top page since its inception, March 22, 2009. It drives me moderately nuts. I'm happy to see the Non-Swimming-Related forum stay right there (and occasionally contribute, when the topic is of interest).

marlindpm50
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I'm game, @Leonard_Jansen. There's not enough here for me as it is. I could stand for more folks shirking their job responsibilities like me.

JenAdpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

This is part of the pan you and Ed's Landscaping have cooked up isn't it?

@evmo & I did discuss this back a long time ago and haven't revisited it. It's the kind of subdivision you see on PHP based forums, somewhere we could go and give out about the price of butter (butter is important, I live in Ireland where we have the proper stuff, not that putrid white American stuff) and laugh at the US election race and how this dress only cost me two Euros in Penny's.

My main concern would at this stage be technical (subdivision above or below the main forum, server space and bandwidth etc)

dpm50suziedodsmarlinevmo

loneswimmer.com

• YUMM!! Butter!

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

This could also serve as a way to reach out to other marathon swimmers (and aspiring marathon swimmers) in one's home town to arrange in-person socializing for discussion of whatever--butter, elections (and whether Donald Trump's toupee would count as a swim cap and therefore prohibit him from wearing a swim cap over it per Channel rules), and maybe even swim plans. (Oh and debating whether such words as "socialize" and "organize" should instead end with "ise"....)

dpm50 said:
    (Oh and debating whether such words as "socialize" and "organize" should instead end with "ise"....)

This is exactly why Donal @loneswimmer won't let me be admin. I'd go through and correct his superfluous use of extra U's and his misspelling of words that end in -ize. Not to mention this British penchant for carrying extra footwear in the trunks of their cars.

loneswimmerdpm50NoelFigartevmo

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    edited September 2015

IronMike said:

This is exactly why Donal @loneswimmer won't let me be admin.Not to mention this British penchant for carrying extra footwear in the trunks of their cars.

Next thing you will be saying that @evmo is Mexican!
    Anyway, us Brits don't have enough space in the boots of our cars to carry extra footwear as well as the elephant!

NoelFigartIronMikeloneswimmerdpm50JenAevmoSuirThing
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@ZoeSadler I was tempted to link the Ireland/UK/GB venn diagram.

dpm50

loneswimmer.com

• loneswimmer said:
    This is part of the pan you and Ed's Landscaping have cooked up isn't it?

@evmo & I did discuss this back a long time ago and haven't revisited it. It's the kind of subdivision you see on PHP based forums, somewhere we could go and give out about the price of butter (butter is important, I live in Ireland where we have the proper stuff, not that putrid white American stuff) and laugh at the US election race and how this dress only cost me two Euros in Penny's.

My main concern would at this stage be technical (subdivision above or below the main forum, server space and bandwidth etc)

Hey! Leave Ed out of this. He's not a co-conspirator of mine in coming up with bad ideas, just an enabler when I need access to large, dangerous machines to cause rampant destruction in short order. Besides, Ed has no interest in sports - he's about 5'2" tall and just as wide. He looks like a hobbit or a beach ball with ears.

Well, it was just a thought. I figured we men needed a place to exchange cake recipes and the women needed a forum to brag and tell their sexual conquest stories.

I'd love to laugh at the US presidential elections and would if I didn't have to live with the results. Oy vey!

-LBJ

dpm50IronMike

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Each of us has our own "forum" on our membership page. Feel free to comment on mine on what's going on in the elections. I've got no American TV here. We might align differently (or not), who knows. I have no problem debating, or just simply laughing at the candidates.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Bacon vs. sausage...discuss... :)>-

dpm50

JustSwim said:
    Bacon vs. sausage...discuss... :)>-

Both good. Debate complete.

JenA