Pelagia noctiluca, still around.

KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

Newquay's beaches all look like this. Blooms like this have spoiled a number of marathon swims this year. Many swimmers are carrying numerous scars. Water temp here is down to 12 -13C but they're still thriving. Apparently, they're going to be around in these numbers for a couple of years. EC wasn't a pleasant place towards the end of the season.

JenA

Comments

• JenAJenA Charter Member

For everyone, like me, who just though "pelagia nocti-what"? :)

"Pelagia noctiluca (Forsskal, 1775) is a jellyfish in the family Pelagiidae. In Latin, pelagia means "of the sea", nocti stands for night and luca means light; thus, Pelagia noctiluca can be described as a marine organism with the ability to glow in the dark.

This species of jellyfish, known in Europe as the mauve stinger amongst many other common names [...]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelagia_noctiluca

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited November 2015

Humble apologies. I've had so many discussions about them in the past few days, including a chat with a local ecologist, the use of the Latin name has become automatic. Mind you, I've heard them called far more colourful names. ;-)

JenANoelFigart
  • I remember swimming in Thailand a few years ago when they had a plague (right word?!) of plate+ sized and shaped jelly fish, you'd narrowly miss bumping into one every 100m or so, really un-nerved me as they were big mothers....

Took the fun out of the swims to be honest.