Bermuda 10K

EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

After many 3 and 4 mile swims, I've finally decided on my first 10K. The "Round the Sound" swim in Bermuda got my wife's vote, so I committed to the 10/9/2016 race. Any advice or experience with this event?

Jaimie

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Lovely swim! You'll have fun. The water is beautiful and warm. The swim course is interesting, and very beautiful. Interesting to navigate. You'll be hooked.

Jaimie
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member
    edited December 2015

Agree with the above. The Round the Sound swim was my first 10K and it was really delightful. No pressure because there's no real time limit, I found the course very easy to follow, and there was alot of support by kayakers and SUPers.

One thing to note, the jellyfish larvae (AKA sea lice) were brutal. I'd apply Vaseline along bathing suit lines and anyplace else you don't want to scratch in public. Hopefully, last year was an aberration. There were several people who were there for many years and said last year was the worst by far. But I'm going back. Yes, I'm hooked. It was a really fun event and the hotel is fantastic.

flystorms
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

I swam it in 2007 and 2008 and never encountered stingers or sea lice. You must have been unlucky! Those things are nasty

• EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Thanks for the insights. Looks like a picked a good place for my first 10K, sea lice and all.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

Randy Nutt is an awesome race director and even better a person. Top notch event. Randy paddled 3 of my TBMS swims and a bunch of USS 25K Nats back in the day. Reserve your spot.

ChickenOSea
  • LeslieLeslie TexasMember

I am considering this swim, if it's still open. I am signed up for STS but don't think I can meet the time limit. Kind of devastated by that so now looking for a different swim. I know I can swim the 10k distance so considering this race since it's the same weekend.

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

I've never been to STS and you should get advice from those who have, but I think if you can swim a 10K without current, you can swim 10 miles with current. If you go for it and make it, you'll be so proud, and looking for newer, longer adventures. If you don't, you'll learn something. My advice would be to go for STS, but if you decide to go to Bermuda, see you there, it's a fantastic swim.

flystormsjendutJenAtortuga
  • LeslieLeslie TexasMember

Welp, that's exactly what the veterans said. I shouldn't bail just yet.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

swimrn62 said:
    I've never been to STS and you should get advice from those who have, but I think if you can swim a 10K without current, you can swim 10 miles with current. If you go for it and make it, you'll be so proud, and looking for newer, longer adventures. If you don't, you'll learn something. My advice would be to go for STS, but if you decide to go to Bermuda, see you there, it's a fantastic swim.

IronMiketortuga