You might be an open water swimmer if ...

13»

Comments

• ... when friends talk to you about Diana Nyad, you take a big breath and say, "ok, so let me explain."
  • That is so true.
  • @heart I've said that so much over the past month!
  • You might be an open water swimmer when you crave a bowl of hot soup after a 7 am swim on a warm sunny day.
  • ....when you're at the hardware store for some home improvements, but your bf or spouse has to come find you. You're looking at hot pink twine and other cool ideas for feeding mechanisms.
  • ...when you drive on PCH and you see Catalina on a clear, still day and think son of a...why didn't I get these conditions?
  • When someone asks you where the nearest place to swim is , a pool is not the first thing that comes to mind. People still look at you funny. They wanna know where the pool is.
    I love swimming
    www.suziedodsswimcoaching.com
  • Exactly. People come to Chicago and ask where to swim. Ummm Lake Michigan? The usual response is "ewwww"
  • You hate cruise ships because you have to look at it all day, but you can't touch it...
  • Every time you take your family to the beach, about 2 hours in your spouse, without prompting, sighs deeply and says, "Fine. Go ahead."
  • Crossing the Richmond /San Rafael Bridge on an earrrrly Sunday ( before dawn) you crane your neck to see through the railings to see what the water looks like....
    I love swimming
  • edited November 2013
    Walking into the day room at the mighty South End....it's winter...water is 49f and it's raining..you see a pilot reading the Comical....sudenly both look at Alcatraz....the swimmer says let's do it, both nod and agree.... because it has to be done!!!!
    "I never met a shark I didn't like"
  • edited November 2013
    ... when, while getting some tests done at the doctor's office, you are questioned as to whether you have started any new meds that might lower your heart rate. "Nope, I've just taken up endurance/marathon swimming since my last visit." ;)
    <))><
  • The pharmacist thinks you are having a lot more fun with the tubs of Vaseline than you actually are.
  • ... when even the slightest scent of diesel makes you grin, inhale, and sigh happily. :)
  • You are wearing a bikini and sunscreen under your long underwear, and pack hot snaps and tea
  • you find yourself forgetting that a deck change is not widely accepted on the gym floor or yoga studio….
  • edited November 2013
    ...this happens....at the end of October, nonetheless!

• You have boat captain and kayaker friends from all over the world.
  • You have GU, goggles , caps, suits in EVERY locale, car, office , parents house, two pools..and TWO clubs.
    I love swimming
  • When tourists at your Florida beach eye you suspiciously and ask if you are Canadians, because those would be the only people silly enough to go frolicking in 58 degree water.
    (Then said tourists are flabbergasted because not only are you a local, plan on going in the water, but you plan on swimming in it and not coming out for four or more hours).
  • You don't wear a coat in the winter because being mildly cold is 'good training'.
  • You have interesting conversations with TSA agents about the peculiar contents of your luggage.
  • When you do a workout in a pool, you never refer to it as going for a swim.
  • When you lean down to the floor and water drips out your nose.
  • When you see a half moon in the sky and go into flashback mode.
  • You find sea grass in your laundry as you are putting it into the dryer.
  • edited May 19
    You might be an open water swimmer if you spend your free time hovering over lakes and shorelines measuring distances on Google Earth.
  • edited May 19
    You might be a marathon swimmer the moment you realize the bubbles in your Speedo are the result of your Gatorade feeds metabolising.
  • Your swim suit has frozen overnight, but you put it on again in the morning anyway.
    It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.