Francis Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim

nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member

I am seeking information from prior participants and/or those with any firsthand knowledge of this swim which will be held on July 23rd 2016. I will be on holiday in Ballyvaughan on the south side of Galway Bay and was wondering if this was a swim that would be reasonable for me to enter.

Comments

• Check out their Facebook page it has a lot of info. and pics. Its a charitable swim for Cancer Care West and its run by the children of their mother Francis Thornton. Its a 13K swim from the Clare side finishing on the Galway side at the famous Blackrock Tower. There are some interesting pics. on site at the moment which shows the different conditions from the winter to summer conditions. If you scroll down on the site you will come to pre registering for 2016 swim.

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member

Thank you Martin. I will check that out.

• You'r welcome I will try and answer any further questions. It's a good swim I did 2 attempts but I was not ready. I finally achieved success on my 3rd attempt as I was more prepared. I have also been a cover cox'n on a number of occasions.

To Martin 6651, Is it difficult to procure a kayaker or boat? I live in the US in Virginia. I am thinking that a relay would be most reasonable for me to consider.

edited December 2015

Thank you Niek. Have you done the swim? If so any reflections?

• nrv2late Hi boats are provided (inform organizers that you will need a boat on registering) for the swimmers usually 1 per solo swimmer but if the swimmers are known to each other and are of similar standard they can use the same boat. As a relay swimmer you will be transported on a larger boat a trawler and when your turn comes you will be transported to position by RIB and when you are finished your time you are taken back to the trawler. All cover boats are required to be RIB's. Should have remembered to mention the web site.

Thanks Martin - I have pre registered as a show of interest. I am going to ask a friend from England to join me in a double solo - or relay. The water temp will be a Challenge - it always is as I live in Virginia USA. I have done a solo Channel attempt in 2013 and a Channel relay in 2015 but the water temps were closer to 16 at those times. I can swim in a lake here in Virginia through the winter where the water temp will be around 13-14. I prefer not to even consider a wetsuit but no shame in doing so if necessary.

• nvr2late.
    Registration for this swim is 20th March which is this weekend if still interested. Check recent post on facebook
    www.galwaybayswim.com

Hello Martin, Thank you so much for your notification. I have been receiving emails from Eventbrite. I plan to register on March 20th. I have a relay partner, and Irishman, and he is working on procuring a boat for the 2 of us. Are you going to swim again this year?

• Your welcome and no I'm not swimming. I have crossed it of my to do list did it 2014.