Investigation of Diana Nyad Cuba-Florida Swim Timeline

2»

Comments

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    edited March 2016

She explains it all here:
    8-|

How many fabrications can you punch a hold in?!
    :(|)

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

@DanSimonelli,

I would find that video shocking if it weren’t the American election season. But we appear to have devolved to a point where cult-like followings are fashionable.

To say those things in the manner in which she said them is an amazing, dangerous skill – she is a highly skilled master. Just one quick hole example – she called the Observers independent in a way that would make you think she didn’t stay at Hinkle’s house in Florida. (I could spend all day picking her complete answer apart.)

@RobertPalmese,

I only analyzed the official documents. As I consider the label “Media Team” simply a more sophisticated label for “Marketing Team”, I believe the Media Team’s input, by definition, should be discounted – who believes every commercial they are exposed to? There is a reason why the role of Observer exists.

In my reading, I did not see a list of all equipment used. However, references to equipment were included. Also, in a private email exchange with someone whose knowledge I respect, a reference to the use a snorkel was made. So, I have a theory. Please put an emphasis on the word theory. I have tried to stick to the facts in my analysis and comments. I do not know this to be the case, but here is my theory:

We know from the Observer reports that she used a “mask” to protect her face from stings and we know that she was having a lot of trouble with sores inside her mouth. To my reading, the mouth sores sounded more like the cuts I get from my snorkel when I abalone dive than the sores I get from swimming in salt water. It is possible that the mask made the normal turning of the neck and head to breath difficult. If that was the case, the only way to breath was to use a snorkel – and since she couldn’t site off the boats while breathing, she would need a streamer as a direction aide.

@ To everyone who is still reading this chain,

If you have this much an interest, please take a few minutes to read the sorted Observer report directly. Don’t worry about my interpretations, comments or Timeline until you have read the source material and made up your own mind. The Observers narratives are sorted and quick to read – starts on page 53 of the Timeline document (link in original post above). If you disagree with my analysis after that, great.

suziedodsJenAevmoRobertPalmese
    edited March 2016

AnthonyMcCarley said:

@DanSimonelli,

(I could spend all day picking her complete answer apart.)

It's pathetic how she spins her tales to give impression of truths.

She does it in her talks all the time, such as when referring to her "olympic experience", giving the impression that she's an Olympian.

SHE'S NOT!

But people continually think she is.

One would think that more Olympians would take issue with her on this, a poser regularly introduced as an Olympian!
    :-q

Chrisgreenesuziedodsevmo
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

@phodgeszoho is the tableau document still available? It appears that the link is no longer active.

Gracias

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• RobertPalmeseRobertPalmese San Diego, CAGuest
    edited March 2016

AnthonyMcCarley said:
    @RobertPalmese,

I only analyzed the official documents. As I consider the label “Media Team” simply a more sophisticated label for “Marketing Team”, I believe the Media Team’s input, by definition, should be discounted – who believes every commercial they are exposed to? There is a reason why the role of Observer exists.

In my reading, I did not see a list of all equipment used. However, references to equipment were included. Also, in a private email exchange with someone whose knowledge I respect, a reference to the use a snorkel was made. So, I have a theory. Please put an emphasis on the word theory. I have tried to stick to the facts in my analysis and comments. I do not know this to be the case, but here is my theory:

We know from the Observer reports that she used a “mask” to protect her face from stings and we know that she was having a lot of trouble with sores inside her mouth. To my reading, the mouth sores sounded more like the cuts I get from my snorkel when I abalone dive than the sores I get from swimming in salt water. It is possible that the mask made the normal turning of the neck and head to breath difficult. If that was the case, the only way to breath was to use a snorkel – and since she couldn’t site off the boats while breathing, she would need a streamer as a direction aide.

Welp, If she swam it, she did a poor job documenting it. I sure as hell would have had about 100 gopro's on around the clock if I was doing this. With that I guess its best to just ask... Is the documentation even sufficient enough to call it an official crossing? If so, then what are the rules for channel swimming and where they followed? Im sure these have already been raised before but why is it so hard to say yes or no this was a crossing. My final thought...if a crossing is this difficult to analyze, maybe its missing somethings.

edited March 2016

@DanSimonelli
    With the type of money spent on this swim...I just can't get over the fact that she didn't have video footage of the complete swim. Whether she swam it or not, she understands the world of marathon swimming and she should have known how important documentation is. She may have done it but it better have a monster * in bold right by it.
    see ya at the cove!

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

@RobertPalmese .. she does NOT understand the world of marathon swimming. That's the whole point.
    She understands marketing and "motivational speaking".

DanSimonelliRobertPalmese

@RobertPalmese
    Yes. That's one of the many glaring questions of this swim adventure.

I know you're busy but if you want to take the time, it would be interesting to hear your take on all this (coming later to the party) after reading through the original post:
    http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/606/110-miles-53-hours-questions-for-diana-nyad/p1

RobertPalmese
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2023

@RobertPalmese said: I just can't get over the fact that she didn't have video footage of the complete swim.

Video footage of the complete swim? That would silence most doubts, I'd imagine (despite the challenges of filming at night).

But is there video footage of any of the swim?

As far as I'm aware, the only publicly available footage from this (alleged) 54 hour (alleged) swim was a couple 20-30 second clips posted on DN's YouTube page, for a few days in early Sept 2013. Within days, even these clips were deleted.

DN's official YouTube page has been empty ever since:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DianaNyad

DanSimonelliJSwimAnthonyMcCarley
    edited March 2016

suziedods said:
    @RobertPalmese .. she does NOT understand the world of marathon swimming. That's the whole point.
    She understands marketing and "motivational speaking".

She's a journalist...she knows how to woah people with words. Sitting down with my buddies and explaining somethings to them and it's almost comical how she illustrates herself and swimming. I try to put that bias aside as I understand her Cuba attempt.

@DanSimonelli
    Ill check it out. Just been hoping on random threads of interest...glad I brought this one back from the depths. Davey Jones can't silence this one!

tortugaDanSimonelli
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I just want to note something, as a former journalist myself. Diana is most certainly NOT a journalist of any type. She was a commentator who would do the occasional fluffy sports features. She can tell stories, but she most definitely is not a journalist. She knows how to manipulate people and market to them, but she wouldn't know journalism if it smacked her upside the head. However, her ability to sway and manipulate also extends to journalists. More than a few have been caught up in the spectacle and because they don't know the ins and outs of this sport, are not able to make a true critical inquiry into what really happened.

I have to say I'd been in the camp for some time that she made the crossing, but had substantial assistance the entire way until @AnthonyMcCarley and others pointed out a lot of missing pieces. I'm now on the side of did she even really swim it? Did she get out? Did someone tow her? Who knows and we likely will never know what really happened.

AnthonyMcCarleyJenADanSimonelliRobertPalmeseLynnkub
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Am I the only one who watched the Seattle video and thought "What's our Vector, Victor??"

evmoDanSimonelli

And the "timeline" just keeps going...

I just heard that DN is going to Cuba with the President!
    :-t :-O /:) :-& :-?? :^o :-w >:P >-) b-( ~X( ^#(^

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

OH good Christ, I was hoping you were joking, @DanSimonelli. Alas, you were not.

gregoc

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

edited September 2016

It has come to my attention that the links to the "Observer" Reports have been disabled.

I put them here for reference:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x3zkmmx99vg5aii/AAAGxFrvYAP9LW0WUNEIXsSXa?dl=0

gregocDanSimonellievmoLynnkubsuziedods
    edited September 2016

Not really surprised that she disabled the links to the reports. Thought she would disable the links when she realized someone actually read the reports. They are damning. As I have said before, I don't know how anyone, who knows even the tiniest bit about marathon swimming, could read those reports and believe she completely the swim.

I figured they would go away eventually. That is why I saved them.

The link in the post two posts above is for PDFs of the reports as they were on her site - images and all. The complete text (only) is included in the Timeline document available at the link at the top of this discussion.

bluemermaid9JenApavlicovrosemarymintgregocIronMikeLynnkubsuziedods
  • Her PR team is ... I don't know.. Shocking is what comes to mind.

AnthonyMcCarley
This discussion has been closed.