Great Salt Lake Marathon Swim 2012

GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
edited March 2018 in Event Announcements
In a couple weeks (June 9th), the historical Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon will happen once again! This year, the field is expanded to 15 and all 15 spots are taken! Some very impressive swimmers are coming and hopefully this year the record gets trimmed! With the high salinity and the extreme buoyancy, much like Utah's state slogan 'The Greatest Snow on Earth', we're claiming the Great Salt Lake as "The fastest lake on Earth"

Comments

• I did not know this swim existed - I look forward to hearing about it. Having a business here for the last dozen years I am sad to say I have yet to visit the lake.
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    Whats the temperature end of October?
  • We still have a few spots open for the 8 mile swim this year. The race will happen on June 7 or 8 (depending on the weather). Details are on the Great Salt Lake Open Water website. Between the salt and the brine shrimp, this is a swim you will never forget!
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Hey @Gords, you should share that pic you showed me of your salt mouth after your qualifier! Worth everyone seeing it.

I swam in the GSL once, north of the causeway in the even more salty part, and can attest it's a memorable experience. I have the highest possible respect for Gordo doing his 6 hour EC qualifier in any part of it.

loneswimmer.com

• AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    I swam this race with @Gords as my kayaker and it was one of the most interesting swims I've done.

http://robaquatics.com/2011/06/2011-great-salt-lake-marathon-swim-event-wrap-up.html

The Salt Lake is a weird place but in a good way... just make sure you bring chewy/sticky/sugary things for your mouth along with mouthwash! If you can get out and do this swim I highly recommend it, it's very unique and worth the trip to SLC.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    The best part, besides hanging with great people, is that you don't have to tread water during feeds. This is an adventure. The water is so dense and whicked salty.