Open Water Swimming in Chicago

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited May 2012 in Locations & Networking
The following 7 comments were split from: Swim the Suck 2012.
Tagged:

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Sgleason wrote:
    Looking forward to the suck. Open water swimming begins this week for me in Chicago.
    Hi where do you swim? The water was 65-67 ish when I swam today
  • I swim at Ohio street beach on the weekends. But might try the point too. 65 still requires wetsuit
  • Where do you swim?
    At the Point mostly
    I've been working most weekends lately so my schedule is ever changing
  • How is parking at the point? Of course parking is always a challenge in Chicago! I hate when work gets in the way of weekend fun.
    dpm50
  • How does Chicago lakefront compare to Chattanooga river swimming?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2012
    Parking at the Point is easy. There's a city lot at the end of E 55th St, right next to the pedestrian underpass. Also you can often find free spots on S Shore Dr between 55th & 53rd.

It's an interesting question, re: comparing the Tennessee River to Lake Michigan. They both have water... aside from that they're pretty different :)
    Copelj26
  • I will check out the free spots:)

Very funny! I am counting on the current of the river :).
    I'm going in tomorrow (no work), and possibly Friday.
    Have you checked out OpenWaterChicago? They go early on Saturdays just north of Ohio St. No more free parking there (sob sob) but its cheaper than navy pier
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I'm coming to Chicago for a work trip June 20-22. Evan already sent me some good tips, but if anyone wants to meet up at some point, I'd love the company. I was thinking about hitting up the Ohio Street Beach on Thursday morning (5am!) and the Point after I'm done on Friday afternoon around 1. Do either locations have a place to store belongings while you swim? Or a place to rinse off when you're done?
  • Neither location has a place to store things. Nor places to truly rinse off. I might be able to make the point swim. Just depends on work.
  • 7am tomorrow. Ohio street beach
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

I'll be in Chicago next weekend (Nov. 6-8), staying near downtown. I'll probably have time to swim at Ohio Street Beach Saturday and/or Sunday if anyone wants to join me. What's the temp like?

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."