Long Distance Swimming Discussion: March 12, Sports Basement, SF

SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
edited February 2016 in Event Announcements

My Fellow Sharks et al,

I and Suzie Dods have had a number of inquiries regarding another long distance swimming discussion from aspirants, those in training, Kayakers/pilots and others just interested in the topic/process....so I have set a date of Saturday March 12 from 1-3pm at the Sports Basement in the San Francisco (Presidio 415-437-0100). Suzie and I will jointly help moderate a round table discussion. We will get out an agenda soon and post....The Sports Basement will provide the space/chairs grease boards, drinks and snacks....If interested please mark you calendar and come out and participate...last year we had discussion participants who were later successful in their various long swims ....there are a lot of opinions on the hows and even whys (insanity?) of doing these swims (one size does not always fit all) but there is a lot of experience in our neighborhood to draw from...so you don't need to make some of the previously tested mistakes that could end a swim....hope to see you there.

Sharko

elsharko@comcast.net

707-495-0522

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

Tagged:
IronMikesuziedods

Comments

• tortugatortuga Senior Member

Can you video it and post it here?

suziedodsrosemarymintSarah4140
  • Yes, we did last year and will try to do so again this year.
    Get your popcorn out, put your feet up , grab a drink and relax cuz it was kinda long.

tortugarosemarymintflystorms
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@suziedods, it was a great video to watch! Well worth my time even with the slow internet here.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I have also invited some of my students... who are budding tri-athletes. I did this in an attempt to convince them to come to the dark side.
    They seem enthusiastic...

NoelFigartflystormsCathyInCAtortuga
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

Reminder...Discussion is next Saturday...topics in general will be..Training...Feeding....Mental... There will be some experienced Channel Swimmers to share their experience and thoughts as well...

Two Fins Up!!!

CathyInCA

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

We had a nice turn out of about 25 folks, including someone who just walked by and thought it looked interesting(!?).
    It was taped by the lovely and kind Tom Linthicum.
    As soon as I find the link I'll post it.
    We must thank @ElSharko and Sports Basement for the venue and the snacks/drinks.
    Next up ?
    An actual 'training camp'?

evmoChrisgreeneCathyInCA
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the second video. I watched your first one last winter when the idea of getting back in the ocean and swimming for hours was just a dream. Now it's all I dream about. Thank you!!

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

@suziedods thanks so much for sharing. Look forward to watching the video :)

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

As always great discussion by some experienced and some not so experienced long distance swimmers (me being one of the not so experienced) Love to hear how I can be more supportive of those embarking on marathon swims. Looking forward to seeing the video as well. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to put this together Suzie, ElSharko and Reptile.

Sharko