New MSF Documented Swim - Spencer Schneider, Around Montauk Peninsula, New York

evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
edited February 2016 in General Discussion

Very pleased to announce a new MSF Documented Swim, and it's a good one: last September, NYC resident and 8 Bridges alumnus Spencer Schneider completed a creative and (as far as we know) unprecedented swim around the Montauk Peninsula, a very beautiful stretch of coast at the end of Long Island, New York. This was a 17.3 mile / 27.8 km swim by shortest swimmable path.

Spencer's swim documentation is available here:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2015/schneider-montauk

The documentation showcases the latest advances in MSF swim documentation technology, including interactive javascript maps to display the route map and GPS track. Check it out.

Enjoy.... and congratulations to Spencer and team.

Chrisgreenedpm50david_barraNoelFigartIronMikeSpacemanspiffgrappledunkmalinakapavlicovDanSimonelliSydneD

Comments

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

The write-up is awesome. This section made me laugh out loud, mostly because I've been there! (hint: it's even funnier if you play, "I wonder what they really said" while reading...)

My spirits were about 5 on the 1-10 happiness scale; which is managing. At about this point, I started to ask Amanda how much longer we had till the end, basically because I couldn’t really tell. The tower was getting no bigger. And it seemed like I was standing still. Amanda told me to keep going, ignoring my question. Same question at the next feed and I got the same non-answer from Amanda. Now I was down to 3 on the happiness scale. And I told myself that at the next feed I wouldn’t accept anymore Amanda’s evasiveness. And it still didn’t seem like we were getting anywhere, although it was gorgeous out there. Although I had not asked for the time, the sun was going down and it was concerning me. I really didn’t know how much longer I could swim. And now the tide was shifting against us. At the next feed I really gave it to Amanda and demanded a concrete answer. I can tell you that Amanda wasn’t feeling too happy either – probably about a 3 on the happiness scale. She conceded that she didn’t know how much longer it would take and insisted there was no reason I needed to know this. I countered that I had to conserve and plan. She scoffed at this and by the end of this exchange, we both descended about 2 more points on the happiness scale.

Nice job Spencer! (and Amanda ;) )

evmopavlicovKellieDanSimonelliChrisgreeneJaimie

"Lights go out and I can't be saved Tides that I tried to swim against Have brought be down upon my knees Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."