Where to swim in Santa Barbara

graciescgraciesc Santa Cruz, CaliforniaMember

Hi everyone, I am staying at the Fess Parker in a few weeks and am looking for somewhere to swim nearby.... They don't have a lap pool so that's a bummer. If it was just few days away from the pool I wouldn't be worried but I'll be there for about a week and a half. Does anyone know of a pool close by that I could swim at? I am also open to swimming in the ocean if there is a group nearby.

Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited February 2016

For ocean swimming....

Walk across Cabrillo Blvd. Walk across the sand. Enter the water. Swim out to the buoy line. Turn left, head down past the Bathhouse to the end of the buoy line. Or turn right and head down to Stearns Wharf. Rinse, repeat, etc.

For pool swimming...

There's a beautiful 7-lane long-course pool about a mile down Cabrillo Blvd (to the right, if you're facing the ocean). It's called Los Baños Del Mar. (I grew up swimming there, many fond memories.) Public lap swim 7:30-9am, 12-2pm, but check the website for seasonal specifics. Masters 6-7:30am, 6-7:30pm.

Enjoy your stay in SB!

graciescdpm50
  • graciescgraciesc Santa Cruz, CaliforniaMember

Thank you so much!

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited February 2016

@graciesc -- if you're looking to swim in the ocean with other people, there's a local group called the Ocean Ducks. See here for details:

http://santabarbarachannelswim.org/localswims

But I'm serious about just walking across the street from the Fess Parker and getting in the ocean. This shoreline is protected by the Channel Islands and there's usually not much swell or current.

graciesc
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

What might be fun on Sunday is to walk down to Butterfly Beach (beatiful 1.75 mile walk south) and the bonus is there is lots of good food afterward as I recall...what a way to start a Sunday!!! (haven't been there for a number of years so give em a call)....

evmograciesc

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• graciescgraciesc Santa Cruz, CaliforniaMember

Thank you so much! I am so sorry I often forget to check back on this site. I will keep all those things in mind!