Protecting the feet

NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

So, for a proper swim, I know it's supposed to be bathing suit, cap and goggles for gear. That's cool.

I got to thinking about that yesterday afternoon when I was getting in the lake for an abysmally disappointing attempt a cold conditioning session.

The beach area isn't really open for swimmers and sunbathers yet (middle of April. NH. Only the crazy people are getting in the water) and there was both some broken glass and a few fishing lures (WITH HOOKS) littering the shore.

While I did my Good Citizen thing and cleaned up any mess I saw, it did make me kinda nervous at the idea of stepping on something like that when I was trying to psyche myself up for getting in the water.

Does anyone else wear any foot protection at all for training sessions? Or is that just too wimpy or words? ;)

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

I have a lot of scars on my feet (and arms and especially hands).

loneswimmer.com

• Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

I tow the Saferswimmer float on most swims, so I can tuck the shoes in there when I need to wear them for getting in to the water

Solobluemermaid9
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I use 'water shoes" like these for my swims here as all the beaches are just rocks.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I use Tevas to wade in on some of the beaches that have sharp rocks covered with barnacles, then I throw them into the boat once I'm floating. I have super flat feet, so the "arch" is always touching the ground, making it less fun to walk on sharp things. I just got some low cut neoprene socks that have a tiny bit of rubber on the bottom, hoping I could swim in them, but they aren't tight enough and I think they'll chafe unless I wear some socks.

I really prefer to leave from a dock where I can just dive in and go. Getting into cold water slowly isn't my favorite thing and it's worse when my feet are screaming for mercy. It's easy to turn around and get out when wading...once you're airborne in a dive, there's no going back.

IronMikeNoelFigartbluemermaid9Solo

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

Kate_Alexander said:
    I tow the Saferswimmer float on most swims, so I can tuck the shoes in there when I need to wear them for getting in to the water

Just curious do you actually put them in the dry bag part or attach them to the outside? I have a really hard time getting my flip flops in the dry bag, been meaning to search out a really thin pair to make that easier.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

@dc_in_sf, when I was swimming in Croatia I'd put my very thin Teva Mush flip flops in my orange dry bag, fit easily.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I've been known to just stuff my flip flops in the back of my suit. I probably wouldn't swim 6 hours like that, but it's fine for an hour or two. Haven't lost them yet...

FlowSwimmersSolo
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

dc_in_sf said:

Kate_Alexander said:

Just curious do you actually put them in the dry bag part or attach them to the outside? I have a really hard time getting my flip flops in the dry bag, been meaning to search out a really thin pair to make that easier.

I use the newer bag that has an outside storage compartment for feeds - http://www.triboutique.ca/ISHOF-SafeSwimmer-Buoy-p/ishof_h2o_110810.htm. One time, before they made that bag, I used flip flops and looped the waist belt of the dry-bag float through the thongs. Not very hydrodynamic, so it works like a drag suit - good for training. I've also tucked flip flops into the back of my suit, like @ssthomas. In fact, before they made the float, I used to carry bottled feeds in the back of my suit.

I use the newer bag that has an outside storage compartment for feeds - http://www.triboutique.ca/ISHOF-SafeSwimmer-Buoy-p/ishof_h2o_110810.htm.

Dammit! After I bought their bag last year, they come out with one with an outside compartment.