Swim the Suck 2016

LeslieLeslie TexasMember
edited March 2018 in Event Announcements

Who is signed up this year? I'd like to find a training buddy..even if it's a virtual trainer.

Tagged:
TMcQueen

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Good luck @Leslie! Karah & Co are awesome and StS is an incredibly wonderful swim.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member

@Leslie, I'm signed up, looking forward to it!

Leslie
  • TMcQueenTMcQueen Belton, TXMember

@Leslie, I'm signed up, too! I live in the desert with limited access to only one swimming pool, so I mostly do a lot of event-based training. I swim for the sheer joy of it, and not to race anyone but myself, so as not to stress out about it. I experience enough stress on a daily basis from work, so I use the hours in the water as meditation to think happy thoughts and enjoy the feel of my body moving through the water. Good luck with your training!

Lesliebluemermaid9swimrn62
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

The Suck has really nice social events and Chattanooga is a very pretty city. Lots to do.
    The flow of the river gives a nice assist for the first couple hours and then the river slows down considerably. There isn't much chop to speak of. The course is pretty easy. The river goes that away, stay to the right and about 10 miles later you are done. The finish used to be hard to see but now all you have to do is look for a large number of cars parked in a field at the finish. See you all there.

Leslie
  • LeslieLeslie TexasMember

Stay to the right. And look for parked cars. Got it!! Looking forward to the swim. I am coming in from Texas. Do people from out of state typically arrive the Friday before? Will that be enough time to get settled?

JustSwim said:
    The Suck has really nice social events and Chattanooga is a very pretty city. Lots to do.
    The flow of the river gives a nice assist for the first couple hours and then the river slows down considerably. There isn't much chop to speak of. The course is pretty easy. The river goes that away, stay to the right and about 10 miles later you are done. The finish used to be hard to see but now all you have to do is look for a large number of cars parked in a field at the finish. See you all there.

Yes, I agree. Swimming is for relaxation...to get away from the real world. Good tip...no stress!

TMcQueen said:
    @Leslie, I'm signed up, too! I live in the desert with limited access to only one swimming pool, so I mostly do a lot of event-based training. I swim for the sheer joy of it, and not to race anyone but myself, so as not to stress out about it. I experience enough stress on a daily basis from work, so I use the hours in the water as meditation to think happy thoughts and enjoy the feel of my body moving through the water. Good luck with your training!

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Leslie said:
    Stay to the right. And look for parked cars. Got it!! Looking forward to the swim. I am coming in from Texas. Do people from out of state typically arrive the Friday before? Will that be enough time to get settled?

This really depends on personal preference. I've come from Texas to STS twice, landed around 2:00 on Friday afternoon and made it just in time for the pre-race dinner. But if this is your first major marathon swim, I'd come in a day early, drive around and check out the course (driving it takes a very long time!). I think in past years, there's been a group going out for a fun swim on Friday. There will be chatter about these sorts of things here or on FB as the date approaches.

JustSwimbluemermaid9Leslie

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Thanks Spacemanspiff. Are you doing STS again this year?

Spacemanspiff said:

Leslie said:

This really depends on personal preference. I've come from Texas to STS twice, landed around 2:00 on Friday afternoon and made it just in time for the pre-race dinner. But if this is your first major marathon swim, I'd come in a day early, drive around and check out the course (driving it takes a very long time!). I think in past years, there's been a group going out for a fun swim on Friday. There will be chatter about these sorts of things here or on FB as the date approaches.

I don't think so... But you never know.

• AshleyHeherAshleyHeher Chicago, IL Member

Meee! It's my first time doing the distance and the race. I have all 31flavors of emotions about it, although mostly of the excited and scared shitless variety.

dpm50bluemermaid9JustSwimLeslie

Me too! How is your training coming? We need to start a support group for STS this year.

AshleyHeher said:
    Meee! It's my first time doing the distance and the race. I have all 31flavors of emotions about it, although mostly of the excited and scared shitless variety.

So, I am seriously reconsidering this race--only a month out. I have the endurance but not the speed necessary to meet the time cut off. How are folks so amazingly fast? It looks like the last place finisher finishes in 5 hours (the cutoff being 6). That seems amazingly fast to me. Are folks naturally fast or can you train to be fast? I ask because although I am not ready this year, I hope to be one day. Please advise......feeling devastated right now.

Don't bail on it. You will make the time. You've got the currents going with you too. Don't worry!

FrancoLeslietortuga

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

I second @IronMike. Please don't reconsider. There is a pretty significant current depending on the dam release. I usually swim a 37min mile but last year at the suck I was clocking in at a 26 min mile!

LeslieFrancoIronMike

Wow!! 10 minute difference? That's huge. Thanks guys. I'll keep training and not give up yet. Thanks for the encouragement.

FrancoSoloIronMiketortugaSydneD
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member

Leslie said:
    Wow!! 10 minute difference? That's huge. Thanks guys. I'll keep training and not give up yet. Thanks for the encouragement.

You won't be sorry. It's a great venue and great fun. Enjoy!!

• Is the registration still open? I would love to try this race as well, but was not confident enough to sign up right away.

Leslie said:

Do not cancel!! This is easier than it sounds. Plus, it is a great event to get connected. You will have fun whether you finish or not.

Camille said:
    Is the registration still open? I would love to try this race as well, but was not confident enough to sign up right away.

@Camille, your question is funny. Funny because StS opens and fills in about 15 minutes every year. You have to set an alarm and have really fast internet. ;) (It is worth it, btw.)

• IronMike- I knew this sold out in 30 minutes, that's why I got confused about talking about racing in it. I apologize, I didn't realize Leslie was already signed up.
    It was just wishful thinking that maybe some slots opened up!!! Ha!

Next year I will have an alarm set and not be such a chicken!!!

IronMike
  • @Camille, last year a bunch of spots did open up late in the Summer. I haven't heard about any openings so far this year, but it can't hurt to write Karah and ask, if you are interested. STS is a wonderful event!!

tortugaChrisgreene
  • thanks for letting me know- never hurts to ask eh?

thelittlemerwookieIronMike
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Swim the Suck is happening right now. Ashley Heher is on https://track.rs/wetnoodles

Francodpm50SydneDrlm

Good morning! Yesterday was interesting. Finished the Suck!! Windy so we were swimming against the current. But it was a great event. So glad I did not bail. Thanks to those who encouraged me to stick with it.

Francobluemermaid9mjstaplesthelittlemerwookieevmodpm50SydneDSpacemanspifftortuga

Leslie said:
    Good morning! Yesterday was interesting. Finished the Suck!! Windy so we were swimming against the current. But it was a great event. So glad I did not bail. Thanks to those who encouraged me to stick with it.

See! Wasn't it great?! Now you can do anything!

thelittlemerwookie

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

You did awesome @Leslie!! Great accomplishment!

Leslie