Coast Guard rescues man running in a bubble in the ocean, again

_(CNN)An ultra-marathoner's attempt to "run" from Florida to Bermuda in an inflatable bubble was cut short when the Coast Guard towed him back to land -- for the second time.

The organization wasn't happy about it, as it posted a series of critical tweets stating that the aspiring bubble runner, Reza Baluchi, had flouted its safety orders. Baluchi voluntarily ended his voyage, according to the Coast Guard on Twitter._

So exactly where is line between crazy and crazy.... ?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/us/bubble-man-rescue/index.html B-)

suziedods

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

I find it especially bold since he was rescued the last time he tried, and the coast guard explicitly said that his safety plan was not good.

• gregocgregoc Charter Member

Is he paying the costs of the rescues or are we?

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

Does it make me a bad person to think the next time he does this, to let evolution take over and if he survives, he gets a free snow cone instead of fined?

And @gregoc I'd wager my paycheck we're paying for his rescue. Because, 'merica.

Solosuziedodspavlicov
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

Send him the bill, and then collect on it, that should stop him for a while or at least til he gets a proper safety plan. Sure, it's an unsecured debt but it's still collectible.

dpm50gregoc
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

As a runner in addition to being a swimmer, I like to keep my venues separate, as I haven't developed the talent of walking --or running --on water. Perhaps someone in the marathon swimming community could approach him to suggest he adjust his choice of sport accordingly on entering water. ;)

Chrisgreene
  • Seems safe
    "For example, Reza purchased motorcycle inner tubes, which he is going to fill with food and attach to the metal structure surrounding plastic bubble..... He will survive on protein bars, tuna, sea water purified through a filter, Gatorade and chewing gum for sea sickness. Reza will be wearing his hand designed Ultimate life jacket that he created for survival in extreme water sports" ;)
    http://www.runwithreza.org/index.php