Dealing with Seasickness

2»

Comments

• LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

Has anyone ever tried benedryl for motion sickness? According to the internet, it is recommended for motion sickness in young kids who aren’t old enough for meclizine/bonine.

I took two meclizine chewables once to try it out. Went to sleep, woke up and walked around in a total fog for the next two days. My muscles were like jelly. I didn’t feel right for a few more days (odd, because it’s half life isn’t all that long)

Ginger makes me nauseous on a normal day

Tried scopalamine patch, but it gave me the spins trying to go the the bathroom in the middle of the night. Kept running into things. Also, the dry mouth was so severe it made my nose, throat and even eyes sore and raw. Not looking to add a long, salty swim to that combination.

Benedryl, on the other hand, is my go to for all kinds of things. It has no side effects for me. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it, even on their kids in the car or something, and if so did it help?

Am also going to try zofran as a back up plan...

• Hello LB....was on a smallish ship on a trip to Antarctica powering through the roaring 40's/Drake Passage. The doc on the ship did recommend Benadryl which basically just knocked you out. However, because of allergies I took a Benadryl before a swim and the sea was loaded with sea lice/and bits and pieces of jellies (after a hurricane) I found that I had very little reaction or welts far better off than others that were also in the water. Hmmm No patch for me...same symptoms as you...zofran on hand good call. I found that part of my issue with sea sickness while in the water...at least the first 4 hours of Catalina, was nerves. Once I recognized that I did some deep breathing, relaxed my stomach muscles and gave myself a good talking to, I was good to go for the rest of Catalina. However, ON a boat is a different story. I am far better in the water.

LakeBagger
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Odenesetron (Zofran) also comes in a small tablet that is instantly dissolvable on your tongue. There is a prescription for the standard pill that you can take before chemo, for example. But it takes its time before it is active. The instantly dissolving version gets to work immediately. If you feel nausea coming on, you can pop one of these and it will settle you down in probably a minute. For me it is literally a life saver.

But, prescription only and use strictly as directed. So I wouldn't recommend it except for emergency use. BTW, I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice. I have a prescription for it and so that's my experience with it. Your doctor will have more professional advice because I'm just a guy on the internet.

LakeBaggerSwimmersuz
  • LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

Thanks @Swimmersuz and @curly! I did not know about the dissolvable odenesetron/Zofran. I will definitely ask my doctor about it as I can see the obvious advantage of that.

Also, good point about the benedryl helping with things that go ouch and itch... added bonus!

I, too, find the boat much harder to deal with than swimming, but still got a bit queasy at night in the water. No problem on the boat or in water when it’s light out, which is good to know though.

I’m gonna try out the benedryl on my next long ocean practice swim and report back on if I notice any impact on energy level or anything else.

Swimmersuz