Lake Tahoe swims 2016

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2017 in Cheering Section

Stephanie Hopson of the South End Rowing Club is swimming the width, from Cave Rock to Emerald Bay.

http://track.rs/tahoe

ChrisgreeneIronMikeJaimiesuziedods

Comments

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Go, Stephanie!

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Looks like she is nearly there. Final push Stephanie. All the best :)

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

She still going? I can't tell from the tracker.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

Tom said the battery went out near the end of the swim and therefore it looked like they were stuck in Emerald Bay...but Stephanie completed the swim in just over 8 hours.

gregoc

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

IronMike said:

When the last trackpoint is 12 hours ago, and the swimmer is <1 mile from the finish, it's a good bet the swim is done.

gregocChrisgreenesuziedods

evmo said:

IronMike said:

When the last trackpoint is 12 hours ago, and the swimmer is <1 mile from the finish, it's a good bet the swim is done.

That is where I was lost. I couldn't find times for the tracks.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2016

For anyone suffering 8 Bridges rest day tracker withdrawal, there's Robin Rose and Kim Rutherford, tandem swimming the width of Tahoe:

track.rs/tahoe is the link for all Reptile-piloted Tahoe swims this year.

ssthomassuziedods
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Elaine Howley @emkhowley is live on track.rs/tahoe. She is doing the length (21.25 miles / 34.2 km).

Go Elaine!!

gregocJenAsuziedodsSharkoIronMike
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    edited July 2016

For those who are interested, but not tracking Elaine, she has about 4.5 miles left in her traverse of Tahoe, about 3 hours to go and her pace has picked up!

suziedodsjendutkejoyceJenANoelFigartJaimieSharkotimsrootmsathlete
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Go Elaine Go!!!

• gregocgregoc Charter Member

Less than 1.3 miles to go. She should be done in less than 60 mins!

msathleteChrisgreene
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

What's your secret, Elaine?

Gotta be the MSF swim cap!

13626495_648136842001447_5510174821032800076_n

pavlicovNoelFigartSharkoswimrn62rlmChrisgreeneIronMikegregocJenAFlowSwimmerswendyv34AnthonyMcCarleybluemermaid9lakesprayTMcQueen
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member

WOOOHOOO! A hero! Congratulations!

Chrisgreene
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Congratulations. Ya done good.

Chrisgreene
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

No wind yet!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    edited July 2016

evmo said:
    What's your secret, Elaine?

Gotta be the MSF swim cap!

Sure was! So glad to be able to represent MSF on that MONSTER swim. Jesus, that was hard. Harder than expected. Gotta love the side wind that forces you to crab into it the whole way up the lake.

Off to get some pizza, beer, and bed, in that order.

gregocevmoSoloChrisgreeneFlowSwimmersJustSwimAnthonyMcCarleyNoelFigartJenArosemarymintcurly

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

Congrats @emkhowley! Looks like great conditions and weather for your swim!

gregocJenA

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Congrats @Chrisgreene on your Tahoe width swim! track.rs/tahoe

JenAChrisgreeneSharkoIronMikejendutpavlicovsuziedodsrlmSydneDgregoc
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

What great swims you guys are doing. Very inspiring.

mjstaples
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

It was a QUICK crossing under not horrid but not great conditions. Chris was super easy to pilot and feed. I think he said less than 25 words the entire time! For me, it was a chance to return to the scene of my first failure ( not my last!!) and my first success. I enjoyed ( really!!) getting up at midnight and scooting across the lake in the black of night in Tom's boat. The lake is a gorgeous place and it is so exciting to see so many people attempting it and succeeding.

http://www.suziedodsswimcoaching.com/blog/2016/7/11/where-it-all-started-lake-tahoe

IronMikeChrisgreeneJaySydneD
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

Swim the Suck founder Karah Nazor and her friend Jenny Leigh Johnson Smith are swimming the increasingly popular 10.6-mile "Viking" route of Tahoe, from Cave Rock to Emerald Bay.

track.rs/tahoe

IronMikeChrisgreene
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

Cathy Harrington, tireless cheerleader, kayaker and just a wonderful gal all around is out there now.. using @evmo's tracker.

slknightevmorlmCathyInCA
  • In addition, on Sat at 1.38? AM Mina Rhoden and Kat Filley started from Cave Rock.Mina finished at 12.28pm on Sat. Her first marathon swim! We had on board Al Jaurique and Cathy Harrington as well . GORGEOUS day. No wind til the last 60 min and it was more like puffs of breeze. I do not know if Tom used the tracker but I took copious notes.
    Kat got vertigo with the lack of horizon and got out about 2.5 hours in and was feeling like cr@p the rest of the day. Another time.
    Tahoe is busy!!

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

I highly recommend the Viking Route up at Lake Tahoe for anyone just starting out with marathon swimming. It is such a gorgeous venue and Reptile (Tom Linthicum) is a super boat captain. Water was yummy as well. Thanks Suzie for mentioning both swims on the forum.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2016

South Ender Ryan Nelson is swimming the length of Tahoe: track.rs/tahoe

hmeerman
  • hmeermanhmeerman Encinitas, CAMember

Looks like Ryan finished in record time!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2016

hmeerman said:
    Looks like Ryan finished in record time!

In 1987, Dave Kenyon swam the length in 9:20, about an hour faster than Ryan. Though, it was a slightly different route, from Tahoe Keys to Hyatt Beach (20.8 miles). The current standard route, from Camp Richardson to Hyatt Beach (21.2 miles), was pioneered by Laura Colette in 2004.

• Dave was wicked fast. I count him as my mentor , along w several others, but my open water mentor. He also piloted my first successful cross -Tahoe and my length( Dollar Pt to Ragan's(?) Beach . Fab abalone diver as well.

Jaimie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2017

Happy to welcome three lengthwise Lake Tahoe swims as new MSF Documented Swims. This is a 21.3 statute mile swim at 6,220 feet elevation.

Well done to all -- swimmers and documenters!

IronMikesuziedods
  • bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

What about all the other Tahoe swims this year?

• There WERE alot, thanks to Tom Linthicum but ... not all were as well documented as these. Mina Rhoden,Cathy Harrington, Melissa Blaustein Chris Greene as well as Elaine Howley all come to mind but not all are on msf either. I believe that Evan is working w Tom to get all the swims into that database that Dave van Mourwik is working on.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Elaine Howley @emkhowley 's Lake Tahoe swim documentation is now published on MSF Documented Swims:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/howley-tahoe

Be sure to read her narrative account.... she is a professional writer, after all! :)

gregocIronMikewendyv34FlowSwimmersJustSwimemkhowley
  • VanMouVanMou San Luis Obispo, CASenior Member
    edited April 2017

suziedods said:
    There WERE alot, thanks to Tom Linthicum but ... not all were as well documented as these. Mina Rhoden,Cathy Harrington, Melissa Blaustein Chris Greene as well as Elaine Howley all come to mind but not all are on msf either. I believe that Evan is working w Tom to get all the swims into that database that Dave van Mourwik is working on.

Suzie: did any of the above mentioned swimmers (besides Elaine) perform a lengthwise swim? If so, I would like to know about it.

[All: I have been steadily working away at the documentation for all lengthwise Tahoe swims since 1955. I will provide occasional updates to this task at the thread titled "Tahoe Swimming History". I will be entering a post to that thread this evening.]

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

SERC member Ryan Nelson's Lake Tahoe swim last August is now published on MSF Documented Swims:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/nelson-tahoe

At 10 hours, 28 minutes, this is the fastest known swim of the now-standard Camp Richardson / Hyatt Beach route.

IronMikethelittlemerwookieemkhowley