Anyone know of either weekday swim Groups or good places for OW Finger Lakes Swimming?

ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

I'll be in the area this week and have time to get to any of them Wednesday for a good swim; thanks.

Comments

• JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

@Chrisgreene Over the last 5 years or so I’ve swum in Canandaigua and Keuka Lakes while on vacation. If there are OW swimming groups I haven’t found them. But I also haven’t looked terribly hard.

The water can be kinda murky at the very northern and southern ends (½ mile or less) of some of the lakes. Since the water is so beautiful and crystal clear everywhere else, I'd rather avoid the “ends”.

I hope you find a Group, but if not, you can have a great swim on your own starting from a park. Google Earth will be your friend, to make sure there isn't a marina or pesky waterfront restaurant close enough to make boat traffic an issue.

Chrisgreene

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

• jonahhollandjonahholland Richmond, VAMember

@Chrisgreene I tried for the Canadaigua swim last summer but no one showed up. They had a guard nearby so I swam by myself. The water was beautiful. The Canandaigua Sawbellies website is: http://www.sawbellies.org/
    Note the attachments says Friday evening, but not sure that's right.

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Thanks all. I found a great place at Kershaw Beach in Canandaigua. Go to the main building, say you want to "buoy swim" and they won't charge an entrance fee, and you can swim in beautiful, clear water, basically 800 meter laps to your hearts content!