Maui Channel for Christmas?

bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member

It looks like the family is headed to Hawaii for Christmas. My initial thought is that it's time to return to Kauai, but Maui would be attractive if I could tie in a Maui Channel swim. Does anyone know what the conditions look like in December? I found a resource that identifies bad times for box jellies, but not much info on wind conditions. My experience with Maui is that it is unpredictable, but I've never been there in December.

I'm also looking for a good local contact for information, including the names of any pilots people used in the channel, and someone who would be willing to crew for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the MC and have any contacts?

Mahalo

Bob

Comments

• JenAJenA Charter Member

I think @msathlete went down to Maui to train over the holidays recently.

• pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member
    edited July 2016

I believe the best info you get here:
    http://www.hawaiiswim.org/hawaiianChannel/AuauChannel.html

Even though the webpage looks like 1990, it actually works and I believe they have the best info. Also, contact Bill Goding who uses the channel for lap swims :D

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

@JenA I have been a few times, usually in March. I haven't had a lot of luck open water swimming in Maui or Kauai for that matter. There have been a few too many sharks around each time I was there. If anyone does go to Maui you can swim for free at the pool in Kihei. The guards are pipped into the open water community and might be able to hook you up with them. There is a small group that goes out every Sunday morning I believe.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

December brings north swells and the winter surfing season so south shore locations such as Kihei and Wilea are ususally relatively calm...Big Beach can bring the best of both worlds with swimming and good body surfing.

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member

Thanks everyone