Question on what suit to wear

Hi all,
So I am FINALLY getting a chance to attack a distance over 5k! I am both excited and anxious heading to Michigan for the Swim to the Moon.

I have been training and doing some long swims with out to much issue, but now as the time draws near I was wondering if any of the veterans have tips on which suit works well. I have my racing TYR, and a Speedo Tech suit, along with my comfy work out suits.
I know 10K is nothing to what so many others are doing, but never having done one I was not sure if the suit was going to make a difference.

Any other tips or notes of things to look out for, into, or plan for- please let me know.
Also, if anyone from the forum is heading to MI for the swim let me know, I would love to meet you in person!

tortuga

Comments

• I'm doing the 10k swim to the moon too and it'll be my first over 5k! I'm going with the suit that gives me the least chafing.

Are you from Chicago by any chance? (your profile pic says Lake Michigan). I'm staying in Chicago for 4 days on my way to swim to the moon and I'm hoping to get one or two open water swims in while I'm there. Wondering if there are open water groups that meet on weekday mornings if you happen to know!

tortuga
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

For a 10K, I'd recommend a comfortable Lycra suit, in your normal practice suit size. Use a new-ish one, so it isn't causing drag. You want it snug enough to be hydrodynamic but not so tight that it chafes. I wear my Agon kneeskin for distances up to 5K, but even then, it chafes my shoulder and the legs start feeling too tight. Avoid polyester suits, they tend to feel like fiberglass after a couple of hours. Use some lube on your neck/shoulders. Enough parts of you will hurt during a 10K, at least your suit should be comfortable.

Swim to the Moon looks like fun, I'll be looking forward to hearing about it. Have fun & good luck!

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• JenAJenA Charter Member
    edited August 2016

I tend to stray away from new suits and go with the oldest suit I own. Lycra/spandex is great if you can find it (not chlorine resistant fabrics or "Xtra Life Lycra"), but these super soft and stretchy suits have fallen out of favour for longer-lasting ones.

Some women seem to prefer thin straps over thicker ones, and some find the opposite. I like fly back straps, but that's just me. :)

Some women even prefer two-piece suits so they can easily dispense with the top portion once they are away from shore. :-)

suziedods
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I also go with a "worn" suit, as long as it isn't too baggy.

I'd second @wendyv34's rec on lube, but I would add around the inner thighs and crotch. (Maybe that only affects us guys?) Some suit seams will chafe after hours in the water.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

I would suggest using something like Body Glide under your straps and under seems that may chaff. I also lubricate my armpits which tend to chaff of long swims. That may be just one of my problems.
    The Swim to the Moon is a fun event. There are a few tricky navigational issues as we transition from lake to lake. See you there.

• Thank you for the advice, I knew to lube up my chaff spots, and it typically is under my arm pits- so you are not alone in that quirk! I wasn't thinking about the straps though, so thank you for the tip.

I was worried my knee skin would cause issues after a while due to its "snugness" so I will opt for the low tech comfy suit instead!

Deema- I am so glad to hear you are going for the Moon too! I am actually a suburbanite- we are about 40 miles outside Chi-town. I know there are groups that meet up for open water swims, but I am not sure where or when. I do know that Ohio Street beach has some lane lines marked for distance off the shore and a lot of people swim there. If you know when you are going to hit the water let me know and I will try to get into the city to swim with you :-)

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

JustSwim said:
    I would suggest using something like Body Glide under your straps and under seems that may chaff. I also lubricate my armpits which tend to chaff of long swims. That may be just one of my problems.
    The Swim to the Moon is a fun event. There are a few tricky navigational issues as we transition from lake to lake. See you there.

I didn't have any navigational issues, but I agree on all of this. Swim to the Moon is a great swim.

I'm a dude, so that may be different, but I generally buy a new training suit for races, but I grease my crotch so that the seams don't chafe.

IronMike
  • DOIN'T go get a new suit! agggh.! There is no way on gods green earth you would catch me in a bikini but , away from the crowds I can be a "no topper".Wear the suit you 've been wearing. Sunscreen the night before if it's a longish swim. Sleep on old towels and then reapply both sunscreen and chafing stuff.

ssthomasJenA
  • Suzie that is great advice, I never though of putting on sunscreen the night before!
    I now have another reason I am glad I am a woman... evidently men have "crotch issues" :P

IronMikeJenAdpm50CathyInCA
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

@Camille the jokes one could make from that statement are endless :))

dpm50
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Wear this suit.

mjstaplesJustSwimJenACamilledpm50CathyInCA

So none of you ladies have issues in the crotchal regions with seams in a suit? Even with the suits that have some leg? Interesting. That was one of the biggest lessons of mine in one of my first longish swims; that hurt for quite a while after.

dpm50

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

On my longest swim (last year, 7 miles), I actually did wear a new suit, and it was fine, no chafing at all--but I was careful in placement of Body Glide (I wouldn't wear a new suit for the same length salt water swim--more likelihood of chafing).

My favorite has been Tyr lately--I find their Durafast suits pretty comfortable right from the first wear, and their fit is pretty reliable too. But YMMV.

suziedods said:
    DOIN'T go get a new suit! agggh.! There is no way on gods green earth you would catch me in a bikini but , away from the crowds I can be a "no topper".Wear the suit you 've been wearing. Sunscreen the night before if it's a longish swim. Sleep on old towels and then reapply both sunscreen and chafing stuff.

• I love the pizza suit!
    I wore one of my trusty training suits that has little to no sides, and that worked great- no issues! I was so happy not to have suit burn!

TYR is always one of my favorite suits as well, the Durafast line is my go to for training.

Mike- I can't speak for all ladies, but I have not had "seam issues" in the nether regions...Maybe you should try a thong? ;)

dpm50

Camille said:
    Mike- I can't speak for all ladies, but I have not had "seam issues" in the nether regions...Maybe you should try a thong? ;)

Absolutely NO ONE wants to see that.

dpm50flystorms

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I don't know what I would recommend, but I'd imagine I won't be buying FINIS...

SoloChrisgreeneIronMikeAnthonyMcCarley
  • Quick question.. > JenA said:

I tend to stray away from new suits and go with the oldest suit I own. Lycra/spandex is great if you can find it (not chlorine resistant fabrics or "Xtra Life Lycra"), but these super soft and stretchy suits have fallen out of favour for longer-lasting ones.

Some women seem to prefer thin straps over thicker ones, and some find the opposite. I like fly back straps, but that's just me. :)

Some women even prefer two-piece suits so they can easily dispense with the top portion once they are away from shore. :-)

I'm struggling with what to swim in. I thought marathon swimming guidelines say women had to be in a one piece? Is this true?

If I can swim in a 2 piece then I'm a happy swimmer.

Swimming is my happy place

• You just made my day! THANK YOU!

Swimming is my happy place