SCAR Swim 2017

KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
edited September 2016 in Event Announcements

APPLICATIONS OPEN FOR SCAR 2017 ON NOVEMBER 1, 2017. Four days, four lakes and roughly forty miles of open water swimming with an ambitious group of international channel swimmers. Swim dates:

April 25, 2017 - Tuesday - Swim Dinner / Introductions

April 26, 2017 - Wednesday - Saguaro Lake

April 27, 2017 - Thursday - Canyon Lake

April 28, 2017 - Friday - Apache Lake

April 29, 2017 - Saturday - Roosevelt Lake

SCARSWIM.COM

2016 VIDEO

IronMikeHelbessthomasSpacemanspiffTMcQueendavid_barra

Comments

• ttriventtriven Senior Member

I've always wanted to do this swim, but I have no idea how to go about finding someone who wants to take a week off work to kayak for me. It is really outside my comfort zone to even ask. Has anyone done a tag team where one person kayaks and the other swims, so you each get 2 days of swimming? It sounds very hard. Harder than swimming the whole thing, because of the long hours sitting in the kayak. I am open to any ideas people might have for accomplishing this swim.

suziedodsKNicholas
  • In 2015 the Dods, Suzie and Walter, swam kayaked as a team. They switched off during each swim. Every day we waited with baited breathe for stories of their daily adventures. Suzie is a regular posted so she can certainly add to this discussion.

suziedodsKNicholasDanSimonelliJaimie
  • suziedodssuziedods Charter Member

HA!! The first two lakes were a piece of cake . We just pulled to the side and swapped out. No big deal. My brother and I basically switched every hour or so, when we felt like it. A- ugh.. oh ugh. Frikin wind. We ended up swimming from the start to the "hotel" and calling it a day. Hardest kayaking I;ve ever done, the swimming was a dream compared to the kayaking. R- I mentally bailed. And..because I had not practiced enough getting back INTO the kayak..we would have had a hell of a time doing a swap in the middle of a lake. Feel free to ping me at suziedods@hotmail or talk to my brother walter@soilutions.net for more info. It's a heck of a week. In a good way... Make your Apache reservations NOW.

KNicholas

Looking for the next big thing.. ... @suzieswimcoach www.suziedodsswimcoaching.com

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member

@ttriven - there are a surprising number of volunteer kayakers/crew who are very dedicated to open water swimming (Neil Van der Byl and Don Houghton). Finding a good crew is fundamental for open water swimmers. Start by recruiting a swimmer to paddle - they may not want to swim it but still be part of the action.

After a recent swim down the Tennessee River Gorge (Swim the Suck), I traded emails with Phil (race director from Kingdom Swim) and Karah (race director from Suck). Phil has a great idea about identifying crew who enjoy supporting swimmers. The informal plan is to encourage crew to take it on the road and experience other venues as well. Phil has sent a number of very qualified volunteer kayakers to SCAR. I'm in the process of developing a database to encourage SCAR crew to travel to other venues as well. How cool would be be to crew 20 Bridges or Boston Light or Swim Across the Sound? I'd consider it a privilege.

At SCAR, the recruitment of crew is up to the swimmer. We try to help those in need who are traveling from out of the country with a volunteer crew but resources are limited. If a swimmer cannot get 1 paddler how am I suppose to get 50? It's a challenge. There are questions about crew compensation, travel expenses, etc . . . discussions that are best between the swimmer and paddler from my perspective. As the sport evolves and "large group" marathon swims become more popular, it is only with the help of swimmers recruiting paddlers that group marathon swims thrive.

Chattanooga has a very strong paddling community and Karah has no problem recruiting paddlers for Suck. Everywhere you look there is a paddler and it's beautiful. It could be the very cool handmade SUCK mugs she gives to only the paddlers that keeps them coming back.

The Kingdom is stocked with great volunteers and, with Phil's vision, by adding a pig roast with local beers will only make the Kingdom more fun for crew. Assisting the formation of bonds between swimmers and crew is something that probably all race directors would encourage. But we cannot do it alone.

I discourage the relay option (although I very much enjoyed having Walter and Suzie in Arizona - great people). Spend your energy on recruiting 1 person who will go the distance with you. Someone you work well with and knows your preferences. Recruiting a good paddler may take as much effort as training for the swim - and that's a lot of effort - but the rewards and experience you share will be memorable.

NiekgregocDanSimonelli
  • I live in the UK, did SCAR in 2015 and my primary concern was having a great kayaker (Pete Fellows flew out with me) as the wind can pick up and I didn't want it round a stranger's neck if someone paddling were to let me down after 15 miles for example on Apache. It was the right decision and one i would make everytime. Good crew is essential to marathon swimming (you usually need 2 to 4 when swimming a channel) so it's good to recruit crew plus you get to 'share' the experience with someone which is magical. Try anything you can but usually being around loads of events gets you acquainted with the passionate crews imho. There are plenty of kayakers out there who would love the scenery of Arizona in April - just need to swim more and more to track them down.

suziedodsDanSimonelliKNicholas
    edited November 2016

SCAR 2017 applications filling quickly in the opening hours.
    -- Australia -- Switzerland -- South Africa -- India --Canada -- United Kingdom --New York --Hawaii --Washington -- Virginia -- San Francisco -- Florida --Tennessee -- Vermont -- Indiana --Texas -- Massachusetts -- Arizona -- Kansas -- Colorado

2016 SCAR Swim photo

DanSimonellipavlicovSpacemanspiffwendyv34ChrisgreeneFlowSwimmersCathyInCAdavid_barraForeverSwim
  • lotechnotechlotechnotech Ojai, ca Member

Is the SCAR swim filled for this year?

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

lotechnotech said: Is the SCAR swim filled for this year?

Almost certainly would be. But apply anyway! Spots tend to open up as deadlines approach--financial or otherwise ;)

"Lights go out and I can't be saved Tides that I tried to swim against Have brought be down upon my knees Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

The website entry pages says there are four more spots open.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

There are a handful of spots left for SCAR 2017 for those that want to swim all 4 lakes.

The field of SCAR 2017 swimmers is near capacity and diverse. Swimmers coming from 18 different states and seven different countries. Still looking to fill volunteer crew positions (these spots can be limited as well). See, SCARSWIM.COM.

Ali Hall San Francisco, CA Susie Paul Phoenix, AZ Samantha Allen Belton, TX Ingrid Bon Boca Raton, FL Tom Linthicum Fair Play, CA Mark Spratt Indianapolis, IN Abigail Fairman New York, NY Liz Uribe Tucson, AZ Chris Greene Suwanee, GA Mitchel Schoenfeld Seattle Larry Long Prairie Village, KS Anna Doubell Sydney Mark Sheridan Sevenoaks, UK Stephen Rouch Royal Center, IN Joseph Zemaitis SCOTTSDALE, AZ Cathy Harrington Danville, CA Kurt Adkins Mesa, AZ Wendy Van De Sompele Vashon, WA Sue Croft London, UK Audrey Viers Mission Viejo, CA Luise Rasche Zurich, Switzerland Meenakshi Pahuja India Emily Evans Flagstaff, AZ Michael Pollanen Toronto Natalie Pummill Brooklyn, NY Kate Howell San Francisco, CA John Batchelder Littleton, CO Shannon Cleary Stafford, Va Peter Hayden Laguna Hills, CA Tiffany McQueen Helendale, CA Stefan Reinke Honolulu, HI Mia Van Biljon Johannesburg, South Africa Amy Gubser Pacifica, CA Paula Yankauskas Hyde Park, VT Laura Colette Gloucester, MA Steven Minaglia Honolulu, HI Daniela Klaz Jamaica Plain, MA Neil Leyland St Louis, MO Sandra Frimerman-Bergquist Excelsior, MN Gerald George Phoenix, AZ Mike Herrmann Chandler, AZ Mo Siegel Piermont, NY Jeffrey Breen Ashburn, VA Rebecca Nevitt Los Angeles, CA Patrick McDermot SALEM, NH Bill Daniell Mesa, AZ Cassandra Oliver Prescott, AZ Elizabeth Almond Norcross, GA Eliza Cummings Denver, CO Cindy Werhane Portland, OR Matthew Schubert Huntington Beach, CA Samantha Kramer Phoenix, AZ Amy Taylor Tucson, AZ Bradley Lundblad Gilbert, AZ Erin O'Leary Jacksonville, FL

david_barraFlowSwimmersssthomasAlex_Arevaloj9swimbluemermaid9CathyInCAsuziedodsForeverSwim
  • What a fun looking group of swimmers.

Indeed. Quite sad to miss out on the party :((

KNicholasJustSwimChrisgreenewendyv34

"Lights go out and I can't be saved Tides that I tried to swim against Have brought be down upon my knees Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

@spacemanspiff you'll be missed my friend but your SCAR blogs will continue to be part of SCAR lore - how ever long that lasts.

JustSwimChrisgreenesuziedods

Anybody excited yet? =D>

Chrisgreenesuziedods

• MpolMpol Toronto, Ontario, CanadaMember

7 days to Lake Saguaro! A highly anticipated event after several months of training! But, tapering is difficult to manage - I feel ready to go now!

Chrisgreenesuziedods
  • If you can come to the practice swim on Tuesday at 11 AM at Saguaro. We swim for maybe 30 minutes. It is a good way to meet the swimmers and get a handle on the first day logistics. Be sure to pick up your Tonto parking passes.

See you next week!

ChrisgreenesuziedodsCathyInCA

wendyv34 said: Anybody excited yet? =D>

I am! And I'm not even doing it (which I deeply regret). I've glad to see some chatter. This is such a great time! Please post daily updates and pictures!!

wendyv34suziedods

I'm looking forward to some hot, sunny weather and warmer water! It's been pouring in the Seattle area forever, the forecast for next week is 55 and more rain. I'm about to do a happy dance over avoiding that!

suziedods

• suziedodssuziedods Charter Member

I'm so excited to see everyone.. my sister is coming as well and I just found out I get to check everyone in and out. Plus it looks like it's gonna be STONKIN hot. CAN'T WAIT.@spacemanspiff ? Sorry to miss you. I love your writing.

CathyInCAwendyv34

Looking for the next big thing.. ... @suzieswimcoach www.suziedodsswimcoaching.com

• Sweet! You and Laura should come up and swim with us on Tuesday Suzie. It is an unexpected pleasure to know both of you will be there.