Where is the best place to find other beginner open water swimmers?

I am trying to organize an open water swimming group in my hometown, but I'm not sure where to start. Where do you guys think is the best place to find people who would take up open water swimming? How should I go about reaching out to them?

miklcct

Comments

• pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member
    edited September 2016

Answer to your title:
    The best place to find other beginner open water swimmers are the shallow parts of the beach or lake where they tend to huddle together (often in their wetsuit) and talk laudly about their fears.

Generic advice:
    In a new place, I go to the nearest body of water or a beach and observe who wears speedo and has a cap and goggles. Then I ask them about where open water swimmers are or where they train. Hang out where you want to hang out and talk to people there.
    Also, talk to the local tri-club. 90% of triathletes are beginner open water swimmers (I don't mean it badly - they just focus on other sports. You cannot win triathlon on the swim.).

Non-generic advice:
    If you let us know what is your hometown, we might be able to help more specifically.

gabic415timsrootmalinakaIronMike
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

@gabic415 that is fantastic! Where is your hometown?

In Victoria Canada I found open water swimmers through our masters swim clubs and the local tri clubs. There are 2 gentle lakes in the area. Most swim there.

Best of luck to you!

gabic415
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Facebook... good luck.

• My hometown is Chicago! (Yeah, I know we're approaching the end of open water season soon) Do people have connections to swimmers there?

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    edited September 2016
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Gabic415 I am a Chicago swimmer. I swim from Promontory Point. My email is saddlebagz@gmail.com
    Also, the group OpenWaterChicago swims off the north side on Saturdays. They have a website and Facebook page. The Promontory Point swimmers have a few nutters who swim all year.

gregocgabic415
  • @Gabic415: many OW swimmers in Chicago, some of whom also post here (like me and ChickOSea).

50 degrees to 50 degrees, so that usually means into November.

The "Playpen," off Ohio Street beach, is where Big Shoulders is held, and it is available for swimming almost any time.

I swim off Promontory Pt, at 55th St., and you can too! Recommend swimming inside the buoys to avoid the Jet-Sledders and boaters. The Park District has jurisdiction over the beach at 57th St., so we leave them alone.

gabic415
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Philly area, if you live there or know people who do.... www.frenchcreeckracing.com

Chrisgreene
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

Wim Hoff has some advise to those that are a little afraid of cold water...if you don't know about him..look him up....Laid Hammilton has endorse him for what it's worth....hoping to get some mid-40f swims in this winter...last winter enjoyed them with my Aussie friend David from Melbourn (ChickenoSea) and he loved it....If you want local open water swimmers you might advertise for crazies like us that need a cold water challenge...

FlowSwimmers

"I never met a shark I didn't like"