Conrad Wennerberg, 1932-2016

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited September 2016 in General Discussion

Conrad Wennerberg, eminent historian of marathon swimming and author of Wind, Waves, and Sunburn, passed away September 8th at the age of 84. "Connie," as he was known to friends, swam and sunbathed at his beloved Promontory Point, Chicago, from the late 1960s until quite recently. He was coach and trainer to hall-of-fame marathon swimmers Ted Erikson, Jon Erikson, and Dennis Matuch. Connie was a wonderful man, lived a full life, and made an indelible mark on our sport.

RIP, friend.

Obituary: http://hpherald.com/2016/09/14/conrad-albery-wennerberg-84

ViveBenethelittlemerwookieIronMikeloneswimmerAnthonyMcCarleysuziedodsssthomasrlm

Comments

• Wind, Waves and Sunburn -- I knew the book before I knew Connie -- even thought about updating it, as he was not interested -- then had other interests of my own. A charming and generous man, he accepted all comers in the "street-corner community," as he referred to the odd assortment of folks who gathered from the university or their jobs or hopped off their bicycles for a quick swim or stood in the lake soaking their feet after a run or dashed in for a quick mile at 6 a.m. before work.

The Winter Solstice bonfire on the Point and hymn to the sun were a Wennerberg tradition. The younger generation would dare each other to jump in the lake (did they?). After much eating, consumption of hot drinks, and tamping down a smoky fire, Connie would face in a general southerly direction, bow dramatically 3 times, and say whatever was on his mind. We all miss him dearly.

suziedods
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

We will miss him at The Point :(

ViveBene
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Never got to meet him. Sorry to say I thought he had already departed this world. Sad that I never got to meet him as his book really affected me. So very odd; I just re-bought his book two weeks ago, this time in hardback as the paperback didn't make the move overseas, and I've been feeling like I need to read it again.

RIP, Mr. Wennerberg.

ViveBene

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Sad to read this. His book is a cherished part of my library. Thanks for all the great work, Conrad!

suziedodsViveBene

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• I tend to think Wind, Waves and Sunburn held the door open, built a bridge for OW swimming, from the legends of the past to "us regular folks" of the present (Marcia Cleveland's Dover Solo also served multiple good purposes along the same lines).

He was the irreplaceable heart of OW swimming in this neck of the woods. Won't be the same without him.

A small, true story: after I did my first solo swim to the pier and back and was climbing up the ladders to reach dry land again, Connie was there, watching. He put his cigar aside and asked me my name. It was a fine welcome.

evmoChickenOSeadpm50IronMikeSolo
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

ViveBene said:

He was the irreplaceable heart of OW swimming in this neck of the woods. Won't be the same without him.

A small, true story: after I did my first solo swim to the pier and back and was climbing up the ladders to reach dry land again, Connie was there, watching. He put his cigar aside and asked me my name. It was a fine welcome.

Well said. I remember Connie being there through many of my training swims, fly swatter and cigar in hand. He'd tell me to jog around The Point whenever I came out shivering.

dpm50ViveBene
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Reading this thread, I wish I had known him. He sounds like a first class guy. Now I want to read his book!

Solo
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

dpm50 said:
    Reading this thread, I wish I had known him. He sounds like a first class guy. Now I want to read his book!

Best book ever. But to be honest, you might want to skip the first few chapters about other mammals that long-distance swim. ;)

dpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams