The Forum Feedback Thread

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited March 2015 in Admin Communications
If you encounter problems/bugs in using the forum, please report them here (or PM Evan or Donal). General feedback is also welcome.
Tagged:

Comments

• mrfinbarrmrfinbarr Charter Member
    Hi @evmo & @loneswimmer would it be possible to have a sign in box come up on the homepage for people who log in from different computers?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking to be able to log in by typing directly into a box on the home page, instead of having to click the "Sign In" link, which produces a small pop-up box. We've looked into this, and currently this feature is unavailable. Sorry about that! %%-
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Re: @mrfinbarr 's request. A friend-of-the-forum suggested the following solution:

If you need to sign in every time you visit the forum (because of different computers, etc.), simply bookmark this page instead of the forum homepage:

http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/entry/signin
  • This is a great forum just like iit is but if you are lookig for ideas to make it even better a " swimmer meetup" type of feature where people can plan group open water swims would be awesome
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    edited April 2012
    Thanks jppr17. Anyone can start a thread to do this if required, or to start or find a swim group or other swimmers in a particular area for example.

Thanks for the suggestion, we want any suggestions we can get. For now we don't want to start sub-dividing the forum into subsidiary sections unless we see a real need or demand for it. It is a legitimate question for those of us who swim by ourselves and are looking for company. The membership and reach are already global.

loneswimmer.com

• WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    Does anyone else find that the # of likes at the beginning of the thread listing makes the list harder to read?

I think "likes" are more of a comment-level concept than a thread-level concept. For example, what if I started a thread entitled "More people should swim with fins and create a big media circus." And then someone (@leonardjansen, I'm guessing) wrote a polite yet hilarious reply questioning my sanity. And then, 100 people "liked" @leonardjansen's comment. That would make it look like everyone thought fins and media circuses were a great idea.

If we do have the # of likes listed at the thread level, I'd rather see it all the way to the right.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @WaterGirl Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you. This is one of the quirks of open-source software. There's one version that has public comment-level "likes," and another version that has private, thread-level "likes." I switched to the latter because I want the awards nominations "likes" to be private. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the new "liking" software to be more comment-level, as you suggest.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2012
    Switched back to the old "liking" system, by popular demand, until I can cobble together an alternative.
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    Great feature!

On a different topic - on the main forum page it would be useful if you add a link to "most recent post" that actually gets me there in one click. Currently clicking on a thread always links to the first post and for the more popular threads you have to click thru all pages to get to the more recent ones.
    TQ!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2013
    @Mandai - that feature is already included in the forum. However, you must be logged in to benefit from it ;)
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    Arrgghhh...right, now it works.
    Thanks evmo.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @Niek, looking at it again, I think you're right. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    evmo wrote:
    In the ongoing effort to make this website a more useful, vibrant community for the world's marathon swimmers, I've added a new box in the right sidebar of the main Discussions page.

The new box is labeled Marathon Swimmers Blog Posts.

@evmo, what happened to the box? Or is it just my browser (FF) that isn't showing it?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2013
    IronMike wrote:
    @evmo, what happened to the box? Or is it just my browser (FF) that isn't showing it?
    broken, as sometimes happens with third party software. working on it... thanks for alerting me.
    @evmo and @loneswimmer: I'm trying to get back to the "home page" of this .org, the one that links to your blogs and has the tabs for the swim calendars, etc.

I've cleared cookies and browsing data on my computer, but whenever I type in marathonswimmer.org in the address bar, my computer takes me to marathonswimmer.org/forum. I cannot get it to take me to that home page. I've closed the browser after clearing cookies and history, no joy.

Ideas? I've checked the new member guide, and can't get an answer there either.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    the homepage is undergoing some modifications; in the meantime it is being automatically re-directed to the Forum.
    Oh! OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

BTW, I updated the calendar for the DC area a couple days ago.

• I'd love to see some sort of tagging system so I can add a tag to a user such as a real name or notable achievement if that's even possible.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the suggestion, gnome. All forum members have profiles with a variety of possible fields (real name, age, location, occupation, swim club, past swims, website, Twitter, Openwaterpedia page). We encourage members to fill out as much of their profiles as they feel comfortable with.

To edit your profile, click your username in the top menu, then click 'Edit My Account.'

For example, here's my profile:

http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/profile/1/evmo