A Different Use For Chlorine Removal Shampoo / Old Swimsuit

In the past, I mentioned that you could make your own chlorine removal shampoo by adding sodium thiosulfate to regular shampoo. If you have done that or if you use a shampoo like UltraSwim, here is a fun use for it...

If you have an older car and the plastic covering the headlight bulbs has become cloudy and/or yellowed:
1) Mix 1 part chlorine removal shampoo with 2 parts non-gel (i.e. white) toothpaste.
2) With a piece from an old nylon or polyester swimsuit, apply the mixture to the headlight plastic, covering everything.
3) Let it sit for a few minutes.
4) With a piece of swimsuit, use some elbow grease and rub/polish the mixture across the plastic for a minute or so.
5) Wipe off the mixture.
6) Use water and rubbing to get anything left over.

The sodium thiosulfate helps remove the yellowing as a result of oxidation. The non-gel toothpaste is mildly abrasive and polishes off some of the crud as well as taking out some of the pitting in the plastic that makes it appear cloudy. Swimsuit material of nylon or polyester is very mildly abrasive and also stands up the rubbing.

I used this on my car (almost 16 years old and over 300,000 miles) and it worked pretty well.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

suziedodsrosemarymintthelittlemerwookiedpm50IronMike

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Oooh! Thanks @Leonard_Jansen - if I had a car I would try this!!! Always good to hear from you :) Happy Holidays!!!

dpm50
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I am totally trying this!

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

jmm234 said:
    Oooh! Thanks @Leonard_Jansen - if I had a car I would try this!!! Always good to hear from you :) Happy Holidays!!!

So I'm not the only one without a car! This is a relief, ad it seems I'm surrounded by car owners. But I prefer to spend my $ on swimming and running related activities and gear. Plus all the walking I do as a result helps keep me fit for my sports. And it might also make me fit enough to need less elbow grease if I ever find myself helping Leonard w his headlight cleaning. :)

Jaimie
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Very cool! Thanks for the tip!