Tips for swimming twice a day?

allanl16allanl16 Miami, FloridaMember

Hi y'all hope you're having a good weekend. I was thinking of swimming twice a day (10-11 hours apart) on the 2-3 days/wk where I'm free pretty much all day. My question is, how do I structure workouts for these days? I was thinking of swimming a medium volume for my first swim and then speed/drills for the second. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

I think you need to experiment a bit to find what works for you. Usually, I swim better in the evenings if my workload isn't too strenuous, and I don't eat a late lunch.

Morning practices are early, and I'm lucky to have a couple of shots of espresso in me before splash time.

I swim with two different masters groups, so I am usually obedient and do the workouts they write for us. There is no coordination between the two groups, so it does sometimes feel like a grab-bag. If I am fortunate enough to have my own lane, I like to add a bunch of butterfly or mindless long pace sets.

allanl16JustSwimMaryStellajjjnjr

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I hate mornings, so when I do doubles, I always stick to about 6000 yards for the morning workout and do things that are more "fun", like kick sets, stroke sets, speed sets, etc. Nothing too mindless so that I can do my best to enjoy being awake and wet at 5:30 in the morning. Then, in the evening, I'll do longer sets to just to get in the yards and be done so I can go to sleep. I also swim better in the evening, so it's to my benefit to do the longer sets then- I'll get more out of them at night than if I tried to push it in the morning. But, I agree with Dave- you have to play around with it and do what works best for you.

allanl16flystormsMaryStella
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

ssthomas said:
    Nothing too mindless so that I can do my best to enjoy being awake and wet at 5:30 in the morning.

You would hate my schedule...