Santa Barbara Semana Nautica 6-mile ocean swim - 2017

evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
edited May 16 in Event Announcements

The Santa Barbara 6-mile ocean swim will be July 9th this year. The route is Goleta Beach to Arroyo Burro Beach. Entries are online at:

http://semananautica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/SB-6mile-swim-2017.pdf

This is a beautiful event, one of my all-time favorites. It is held annually as part of SB's "Semana Nautica" ocean sports festival. It's still pretty off-the-radar nationally, but SB locals come back year after year, because it's just such a cool swim.

Water temperatures almost guaranteed in the low 60s... perfect stepping stone to longer Channel Islands swims (Anacapa or Catalina). If you swim straight, it's more like 5.2 miles.

DanSimonellirlmIronMikelakesprayCathyInCAKNicholas
Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited May 16

AND (how could I forget to mention)... this event is also notable for being completely wetsuit-free. No "separate categories" or other concessions to the triathlon community. Just an old school ocean swim, speedos, caps, goggles.

Love this event so much.

Karl_Kingerydc_in_sfIronMikeChrisgreeneKate_Alexander
  • IronMikeIronMike Alexandria, VACharter Member

evmo said: AND (how could I forget to mention)... this event is also notable for being completely wetsuit-free. No "separate categories" or other concessions to the triathlon community. Just an old school ocean swim, speedos, caps, goggles.

This right here is why I have just put this swim on my bucket list. Thanks @evmo!

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member

Looking forward to it. I've had this good time swim on my list for a long time.

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited July 11

Semana Nautica 6-mile results (actually about 5.2-5.3 miles by shortest path including around the pier) now available:

http://db.marathonswimmers.org/events/semana-nautica-ocean-swim/2017

At some point we will get the missing 2002-2009 hand-written/PDF results transcribed into the database.

This is a great point-to-point swim from Goleta to Santa Barbara, organized by SBCSA board member Jane Cairns. The swim has long been a feeder/inspiration for Santa Barbara Channel & Catalina Channel solo swims.

This year's first overall finisher Tim Siciliano was, no joke, a three-time NCAA Div 1 champion in the 400 IM in the early 2000s.

It appears this was a neutral-to-favorable year for currents. Some years (2001, 2010) have had a helpful current, resulting in fast times. More frequently there's a slight head current.

Local news coverage here:

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/tim_siciliano_karen_schultz_win_semana_nautica_6_mile_ocean_swim

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles, CAMember

I think there was certainly a favorable current as the kelp was all lying flat pointing south and my time was 25 minutes faster than last year. Always a fun swim!

marlin