FAQs for MSF Documented Swims

emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
edited July 11 in Resources

We've gotten a few questions lately about whether single-witness swims will pass muster to be documented by the Marathon Swimmers Federation. I'm pasting in below answers to these questions as drafted by the rules co-authors--me, Donal Buckley, Evan Morrison and Andrew Malinak)

Q: Can my swim be crewed, observed/documented, and piloted/navigated all by a single person?
A: No. Although we are sympathetic with the manpower challenges and expense of marathon swimming, MSF Documented Swims require at least two people to assist the swimmer to cover the three critical roles involved with supporting the swimmer. One role is observer, the second is navigator/pilot/kayaker who charts the course, and the third is the crew who feeds the swimmer. How these roles are assigned across a two-witness event should be based on safety considerations and common sense. If a third person is available, that’s considered ideal because then each role can be given primary attention by the individual performing it. 

The reason these roles are split across multiple individuals is because each requires specific skills and attention. It would be unsafe (and impractical) for the pilot or kayaker to be required to also observe a swim. In some instances, the kayaker charts the course and feeds the swimmer simultaneously, but they cannot also act as the official observer, not only for safety reasons, but also because of the potential for a conflict of interest. If the official observer - who is intended to be an independent, impartial witness to the swim - is also invested in feeding and guiding the swimmer, their objective independence may falter. 

Generally speaking, the more witnesses there are to a swim, the greater the credibility of the claims.

Q: Can I use a video camera as my independent observer/documenter of my swim?
A: No. Although digital media technology improves every day, we believe it will never be able to completely replace an experienced observer. This independent witness can comment on potential infractions and issues that a camera may not show. Also, GPS devices and video cameras are notorious for failing partway through a swim, and because of this unreliability, raw footage of a swim is not considered authoritative enough to substantiate claims submitted for MSF Documented Swim status as a standalone source. Video is a wonderful secondary substantiation of a swim when submitted with a thorough observer’s report from an objective, impartial witness to the swim.

evmoslknightssthomasthelittlemerwookieNiekIronMiketimsrootMoCo

Stop me if you've heard this one... A grasshopper walks into a bar... https://elainekhowley.com/

Comments

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited July 13

Q:

I noticed that GPS tracking data are required for all MSF Documented Swims starting this year (2017).
    But what if I don't own a SPOT tracker and/or can't afford one? And what if the tracker fails midway through the swim? Will you not ratify my swim due to a technology failure out of my control? That seems unfair.

A:

SPOT trackers are nice, because they provide real-time public tracking. But you don't need a SPOT tracker to record a GPS track. Any Android or Apple smartphone, or GPS-enabled fitness watch (e.g., Garmin, Suunto, Apple Watch), serves as a perfectly good GPS track recording device. See this article for details.

GPS trackers do sometimes fail. Therefore it is always advisable to utilize multiple trackers on events where GPS data are critical for documentation. Redundancy vastly reduces the chances you will fail to get a track of your swim.

Familiarize yourself with the technology beforehand, so you're not fumbling around during the swim itself.

Personal anecdote: Even three years ago, on the very first MSF Documented Swim (Craig Lenning's Farallon Island swim), I was using three simultaneous trackers (SPOT, Garmin watch, and smartphone) to track the swim. Ironically it was the SPOT (usually the most reliable option) that failed -- but I had two backups, so no problem.

Now in 2017, the technology is even better, cheaper, and more ubiquitous. With redundancy and good planning, you can nearly ensure good GPS tracking data.

FrancothelittlemerwookieIronMike
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMember

Good to know! Thanks team!