The 10 Best Places to Swim in the World, According to Me

swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member
edited August 2017 in General Discussion

(me, being Loudon Wainwright III). A few familiar places mentioned.

https://nytimes.com/2017/08/19/opinion/sunday/best-places-swim-world.html?ref=opinion

j9swimFrancoJaimie

Comments

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

nice list but i would also have to add, Lake George, NE Kingdom Lakes, and may favorite waters....The Hudson River. Is the photo in the article @david_barra...the form looks familiar

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I love the comments on this article, saying that all of those places he listed were simply dreadful. Guess some people don't like cold water :-)

• I emailed him and invited him to the 24Hour.

rosemarymintthelittlemerwookiessthomasbluemermaid9SpacemanspiffJaimieSarah4140
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

Love LW3. Thanks for sharing.

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road Cove.

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Love this - thanks for posting @swimrn62 !

I've only swum at 2 of these and I have to say @rosemarymint Waccabuc was my least favorite place when I was a teen/tween - it was the only lake pool in our summer swim league and I was weirdly afraid at the idea of touching a fish! I had no idea about the rock though, would love to jump off of it. :)

rosemarymint
  • SuperfishSuperfish St. John US Virgin IslandsMember

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I believe the best parts to see here are under the water. (Yes, you can see beautiful fish and coral in the water while you swim! how cool is that!)

I realize I don't drink water that is as cold as you all swim in, but I drive by this place every day on my way home from work.

Really, be honest now... wouldn't you jump in?!

flystorms
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

I'm with you, Superfish. Anything under about 75 and I'm a shivering mess. I love all the warm, clear waters in the Caribbean. :)

Camille
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

I'm going to confess that I found this list totally meh. Nothing about it made me want to swim in these places.

But then, that's what I love about this swimming craziness. People love their water for reasons that are completely and totally their own. (And give me the clear blue waters of the Caribbean any day...)

flystorms
  • SuperfishSuperfish St. John US Virgin IslandsMember

The pic from my post didn't make it, so I am trying again! My apologies if there isn't a picture in this post!!

Swam there today and was spectacular. Millions of small baitfish, >20 4-5 foot tarpon cruising through, two nurse sharks, green and hawksbill turtles, stingrays, corals, loads of tropical fish..... Just another day in Maho Bay.

I do admire all of you that excel in the northern latitude swims. You all are amazing!

• Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

suziedods said:
    I emailed him and invited him to the 24Hour.

Maybe he would be willing to play music too!

ssthomas