New MSF Documented Swim - Jaimie Monahan - Around Absecon Island

evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
edited September 1 in General Discussion

More great stuff from the incredibly prolific @Jaimie - resurrecting the classic "Round the Island" swim in Atlantic City, NJ.

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/monahan-absecon

Thanks to @rosemarymint for documenting!

@jcmalick also did this as a solo several years ago, but before that it was a long-standing and notoriously challenging stop on the professional circuit.

Historical results rescued via the Wayback Machine here:

http://db.marathonswimmers.org/events/atlantic-city-around-the-island-swim

thelittlemerwookiecurlyMaryStellaJaimierosemarymint
Tagged:

Comments

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I swam this race in 1995 as an amateur (second overall) and in 1996 as a pro (right shoulder detonated before Longport jetty). It'sthe hardest race I've ever done. The English Channel was a gimme by comparison. Constant changing of conditions, weather, tide, temperature, and swimming behind a beach patrol dory boat by only a few inches. I had to lift my head each stroke to make sure I was right with the boat. (Due to the oars, you swim behind the boat the entire way.)

You're not a marathon swimmer until you've done this "right of passage" event.

Jaimie
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

How come there are gaps in the results shared by Evan?

Jaimie
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited September 4

swimmer25k said: How come there are gaps in the results shared by Evan?

Because there are missing years in the source data (wayback machine snapshots of the former website of the event, acswim.org).

If you have original results from the missing years, I'm happy to add them to the database.

Jaimie
  • JaimieJaimie NYCCharter Member

Thanks @evmo and @rosemarymint - what great memories. And much respect @swimmer25k - love hearing your stories and recollections. You are tough as nails!