Holding a taper

ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
Are there any guidelines for holding your taper to cover an extended period of bad weather? Given the current spell of bad weather @ Dover, how long can you stay rested without starting to see a drop off in form? Assuming you're still swimming an hour or so daily to stave off boredom and keep things ticking over, how long can you or should you continue this?
Should you do all easy swimming? Should there be some effort included? etc

Any thoughts most welcome.

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    If there are guidelines on this, I don't know what they are. So much of taper (and by extension, holding a taper) depends on "feel" and is probably unique to the individual. My preference would be to combine slow, technique-focused swimming with speed/pace work. Just enough speed/pace work to maintain a feel for the water without getting fatigued. I like doing a few repeat 100s, aiming to hit a specific time as easily as possible. Not unlike target practice in golf, hitting 9-irons to a specific spot on a driving range.

Best done in a pool, obviously. I actually have no idea: Are there pools in Dover for swimmers to train in, or just the harbor?
  • NZL1NZL1 AucklandNew Member
    edited January 3

Resurrecting this old thread because I’m in a similar position..

Last Tuesday (10 days ago) I did a 10.2km open water swim here in Auckland / Hauraki Gulf.

I’m now waiting to attempt my next goal - a 16.5km swim from one Gulf island to another.

I’m trying to align the stars as follows:

1. Right weather conditions
    2. Right tidal window
    3. Avoid peak shark feeding times (I’ll be in the water a while)
    4. Avoid peak fishing boat activity along my route
    5. Confirm driver for my support boat
    6. Oh and not to forget feeling ready to do the swim itself! 😊

Given I swam approx. 2/3 my new target distance only 10 days ago I’m hoping I’m still in good condition but I’m also wondering how long I can hold the taper as I delay my swim day after day. The next window looks like Sat which will be 12 days since my last big 10.2km swim.

Any thoughts on what to be doing in the meantime?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 6

Depends how long you tapered for the 10.2km swim, and what level of base/weekly volume you came down from.

If it were me, I'd try to get in for a little swim (45 min to an hour) every day, to keep a feel for the water and strike a balance between, on the one hand, losing fitness, and on the other, blowing up the taper.

Swimmersuz
  • NZL1NZL1 AucklandNew Member
    edited January 6

A few hours ago I finished swimming Kawau Island to Tiri Tiri Matangi Island, off Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf.

It was much tougher than expected especially into the wind for last 2hrs. Took 7hrs 35 mins which was about 2hrs longer than I planned.

Straight line distance was 16.5km but tracker shows I covered closer to 18.5km.

My previous longest swim was 10km in 3:30hrs 12 days earlier. So this was well over 2x duration and ~1.85x distance. A bigger jump than I planned.

I considered giving up several times in the last 2hrs and only my support crew kept me motivated.

After all it was purely a personal challenge not a competition, so I was swimming alone.

So the last 2hrs became a mental battle with myself, as much as a physical battle.

Anyway, looking forward to a beer & steak for dinner!

And I need a rest (I’m 55 yrs btw so no spring chicken)!

curlyevmoSwimmersuzLakeBagger