Quirky Cheering note :-)

BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Here in Ticonderoga, lives a former little girl named June Curtis, who lives on Lake George. June watched from her dock as Diane Struble swam by on her way south to Lake George Village in 1958. A few others in town have mentioned being aware of Diane's swim or even seeing her swim, but June is tickled by the fact that not only did she watch me swim by her dock in August, she is likely the only person to have witnessed both swims from the same spot.

I think June gets bonus points for Coolest Person to Cheer for Marathon Swimmers.

"They also serve who only stand and wait." -Milton

KatieBunthelittlemerwookiegregockejoyceSoloViveBeneSpacemanspiffIronMikeJaimieMaryStella

Comments

• aafairmanaafairman Los Angeles, CAMember

Our relay met June when our boat broke down near her house on the way to the start of the Lake George Marathon Swim last September. She let us use her dock (and her bathroom!) and generally took care of us until a new boat was brought up from the Marina. She shared her story of Diane's swim with us and then also followed up with us after to check on our own attempt. When she found out that we didn't get to complete it, she invited us back "anytime" to try again. Such a cool woman.

RT Relay

ssthomasSolothelittlemerwookiewendyv34BridgetKatieBunMaryStella
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

aafairman said:
    Our relay met June when our boat broke down near her house on the way to the start of the Lake George Marathon Swim last September. She let us use her dock (and her bathroom!) and generally took care of us until a new boat was brought up from the Marina. She shared her story of Diane's swim with us and then also followed up with us after to check on our own attempt. When she found out that we didn't get to complete it, she invited us back "anytime" to try again. Such a cool woman.

YES! I met one of your group at Spuyten Duyvel! That is June-- she is just wonderful. I'm doing a presentation at the Rotary in a few weeks-- Do you mind if I include your photo? Happy (and expecting) to give credit to the photographer, and list the names in your group. Feel free to send a message or email me bmmsimpson@mac.com if you don't want to reply here. Feeling shy? Just say so, and I'll skip it.

Thanks so much for posting!!! :-D I can't wait to tell her. . .