New MSF Documented Swim - Karl Kingery - Yellowstone Lake, Wyoming

evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
edited November 9 in General Discussion

A couple months ago @Karl_Kingery quietly undertook a very adventurous (and as far as we know, unprecedented) swim across the length of Yellowstone Lake, Wyoming. It is one of the jewels of Yellowstone National Park, itself one of the jewels of the U.S. National Park system.

This was a 20.0 statute mile swim at over 7,700 feet (2,350m) elevation in brisk freshwater that typically maxes out at 60 degrees F in summer.

Karl and his observer did a wonderful job documenting the swim. I highly recommend reading Karl's narrative report, which provides a fascinating window into the thought and attention to detail that went into planning the swim.

Well done, Karl and team!

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2017/kingery-yellowstone/

thelittlemerwookieKarl_KingeryJaimielakespraycurlywendyv34DanSimonelliViveBeneBridgetJSwim
Tagged:

Comments

• Very cool swim!! (Hey Boo boo...)

Jaimie
  • JaimieJaimie NYCCharter Member

Woooohooo - congrats @Karl_Kingery and team!

thelittlemerwookie
  • Karl_KingeryKarl_Kingery Denver, COMember

Thanks, everyone, this sure was a fun swim to research and go do. The planning was really just as much fun as the actual swim was. Yellowstone is just such a wonderful place to be and there is so much history there. Justin Whaley and Pareesa Goshtasebi are two of the best people and most capable crew members that I know and really made this swim feasible.

ssthomasJaimiethelittlemerwookieViveBeneevmoBridget
  • @Karl_Kingery: Your narrative took me back to a place I've never been! The Thorofare is the only part of Yellowstone I'd really like to hike, so mention of ranger stations, Fishing Bridge, the mountain highpoints, the numbered campsites recovered all my earlier, still unrealized plans in one fell swoop.

Your swim also followed, for the greatest part, a canoe trip made by a former Yellowstone ranger who developed rapidly progressive ALS and got permission from the Park to make a last trip, by canoe, in the company of three friends in 2014. (They did get to stay in the ranger stations, because, rangers.) A Week in Yellowstone's Thorofare by Michael Yochim is an eloquent if somber tribute to this wonderful body of water and still wild land in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Congratulations, and special thanks for adding another layer of personal knowledge about this wonderful place. (Yes, it's cold water!)

evmoKarl_Kingery
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

What a beautiful adventure! :-D