"Sea Donkey" film

KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
edited January 2018 in General Discussion

I've just watched James Harrison's film of Adrian Sarchet's North Channel solo, "Sea Donkey". I don't think I've ever spent so much time on the edge of my seat. Chewed my nails to the quick. Can't recommend it highly enough if you enjoy swimming stories.

Tagged:
vegasdoodJSwimSpacemanspiffdpm50

Comments

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    edited January 2018

LOVE it! Saw this film yesterday--

More info here:
    http://seadonkeyfilm.com/

Features a guy who aspires to complete Oceans 7, and focuses on his North Channel swim. The training footage alone was impressive! As a fledgling marathon swimmer, I'm still something of a wimp about rough conditions, but he plunges right in, regardless of water temp or chop.

Then there's his persistence through the swim itself, ad he was getting colder, being stung by jellyfish and yet not giving up.

But I'm sure many of you can tell similar stories. Marathon swimming calls for a lot of bravery and persistence.

Just in awe!

• SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member

We (a group called Oregon Wild Swimming) are hosting a viewing next Friday at a club that serves Endurance athletes. 50% of those attending are outside of the OW community! I’m pretty excited to share and compare our epic adventures with those in the Ultra world.

phodgeszohodpm50IronMikeJSwim
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

I loved this film. There is so much to learn, not only about what it takes to undertake such a brutally challenging swim, but also about crewing. What a pleasure to watch and listen and yes, bite nails!

JSwimdpm50
  • This was great!! Very suspenseful. My 10 year old pool swimmer son said he couldn’t really complain about his practices after that.

JSwimdpm50
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

I loved this! Even my non swimmy best friend was glued to the tv. She teared up a few times.

dpm50
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

I watched it last night and was WOW! Recommend it to anyone.

dpm50
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

^:)^ What a great film!

dpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember

Awesome film! I've watched it several times now, and it doesn't get old. I really want to visit Jersey now to swim in those beautiful locations. The north channel.... not so much :D

dpm50
  • jamesguernseyjamesguernsey GuernseyMember

Thank you all for such nice comments on the film!

We have a great swimming community here on the island, and some fantastic swims to be had. Any of you are always welcome over to join us! Roel we are not far from Jersey, slightly further north, by 20 miles.

James (the bloke who made the film) :)

KatieBunSolodpm50Roelswimrn62IronMikeJSwimBogdanZJustSwimStephencurlyrlmWebstem67
  • RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember

Haha did I say Jersey, I meant to say Guernsey, sorry bout that :)

That ocean pool in the film certainly is a wishlist-pool B-)

dpm50jamesguernsey
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

James, congrats on the film and on the performance :) it was great!!!

dpm50jamesguernsey
  • LouisMLouisM Dublin, IrelandMember

I met Adrian at Fergal Sommerville's Ice Mile at Lough Dan, Co. Wicklow on Saturday. He's a lovely, lovely guy. Gave me a copy of his DVD which I watched last night. Like @KatieBun said, it's nail biting stuff at the end.

KatieBunjamesguernsey
  • KLowKLow AustraliaMember

Thousand times agree! Wonderful movie for anyone!
    I loved the part where we see Adrian in training for his 6 hour attempt - a bunch of dudes decide to jump in, screaming in the background from the cold - they return moments later. Adrians father says 'that was quick'.
    So funny!

dpm50LouisMjamesguernsey
  • Webstem67Webstem67 Rapperswil, Switzerland Member

Never seen shoulders so blue. Not sure if that was cold or from the jellies. Such a gutsy swim. Congratulations on the film and the swim!

dpm50jamesguernsey
  • jamesguernseyjamesguernsey GuernseyMember

Thank you all :) :)

Good feedback makes all that work worth it!

@KLow I was so glad to have captured that :) very funny... "I can't feel my legs!" They were literally in the water no longer than 15 seconds....

KatieBunSoloIronMike