New MSF Documented Swim - Brian Lanahan - James Island, South Carolina

evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin

A couple months ago Brian Lanahan undertook a very adventurous 50+ km (31+ mile) swim around James Island, near Charleston, South Carolina. Indeed this swim was nominated as a finalist for this year's Yudovin Award for Most Adventurous Swim. It also required a fair bit of planning and technical knowledge to time the swim with the complicated tides around Charleston Harbor.

Brian's swim was competently observed and documented by Janine @j9swim, and is now preserved for the growing history of our sport.

Congratulations and well done to Brian, Janine, and team.

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2017/lanahan-james-island

KarenTKatieBunkejoycessthomasAnthonyMcCarleyKarl_Kingerymolly1205gregocLynnkubswimrn62curlyrosemarymintthelittlemerwookieKLowBridgetMpol
Tagged:

Comments

• molly1205molly1205 Senior Member

Amazing and inspiring swim, Brian!

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• Beautiful!!!

Favorite line from documentation: The crew was treated to sightings of many dolphins and Monarch butterflies, it was a magical day, except when the swimmer projectile vomited 3 feet in a perfect arc for at least 5 minutes.

rosemarymintSara_Wolfwendyv34
  • WAY TO GO! I love the write up and realism!

Bridget
  • With the accompanying log entry: "swimmer purged.....feels better." Such..................... conciseness! (Is that a word now?)

Lynnkub said: Beautiful!!!

Favorite line from documentation: The crew was treated to sightings of many dolphins and Monarch butterflies, it was a magical day, except when the swimmer projectile vomited 3 feet in a perfect arc for at least 5 minutes.

Bridget
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

What a marvelous set of narratives- both Janine's introduction, and Brian's words. Brian- I love how you noted the moonlight bubbles, and the image of cheering yourself on. I wish I had felt brave enough to attempt a three foot arc of vomit! (I kept thinking it would have been a good thing to have practiced in training for my swim, but does anyone really do that?!) I'm so glad it helped you feel better!! I bet if felt like magic to settle down again.

After such detailed and long term preparations, I'm so glad you got your magical day. :-D It sounds like the time allowed you to train to the course, giving you a home water advantage, so to speak.

Open water is a lovely place to be, and it is nice that small fish can feel welcome. :-) Just don't diminish your accomplishment. You set a brisk pace, and managed to use the current to your advantage with what sounds like very precise calculations. With your stroke count, you certainly weren't riding the waves to get where you were going. Quite a pace!

Congratulations on your grand adventure, and many kudos to your fabulous team.

• MpolMpol Toronto, Ontario, CanadaMember

A clever fast fish, not a small fish, I would say! Well done!