New MSF Documented Swim - Sarah Thomas - Lake Champlain

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited December 2017 in Swim Reports

4000+ photos
21+ hours of live video footage
67+ hours of bi-hourly log observations

The longest open water swim (continuous, unassisted, current neutral) ever done.

Well done, @ssthomas

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2017/sarah-thomas-lake-champlain

Tagged:
malinakalakesprayDoc2docktimsrootpavlicovgregocKellieBridgetssthomasIronMikeKarenTMpoldavid_barrakejoycecurlyMoCorlmKarl_KingeryKatieBunswimmer2point0jacky

Comments

• BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Amazing. Wonderful accounts by observers, and fabulous effort on all parts. Thank you so much for sharing.

ssthomasevmocurly
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

@evmo the level of detail and organization on this report is just WOW, really really WOW. This is now the standard for platinum level marathon swim observation and reporting.

evmomalinakacurlydpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

It is really helpful understanding the preparation and execution of a really long swim. I can apply this to my rather more modest efforts. These swim reports are going to be a treasure trove for future swimmers.

MoCoevmoBridget
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

All you really need is that boat and one could swim anywhere. Oh, that boat!

ssthomasevmo

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

Holy moly.

God help anyone who tries to break this record. (And I'm not just talking about the swimming.)

ssthomaswendyv34
  • KLowKLow AustraliaMember

Incredible Sarah!

• @ssthomas ....
    With all of the planning that I'm sure you did for your swim......how much of a cushion did you plan for fuel supplies? I'm sure you had an idea of about how long it might take you to finish the swim, I'm wondering, though, how much extra juice, cargo pro, etc. you had on hand in case your swim went longer than planned?

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I had about 80 hours of Carbo Pro feeds made out in bags- just add water. I had extra powder, too, if we needed it.

Funny story....we ran out of juice. After things calmed down on day 3, Ryan and a couple others actually went ashore to get more for me. I ended up not using it, but we were out.

There was also a snafu with my Nuun. I had caffeine ones and just straight electrolytes. Somehow, and I'm still not sure how, I ended up with way more caffeine ones than non caffeine. We had about 30 hours of non-caffeine tabs, which is what I needed, but I thought we had about double. They discovered the mix up about 3 hours in and debated going shore then to get me more, but I decided 30 hours was enough, so there was no need.

Apparently, I've gotten a little complacent with my packing....

I always end up with extra water and usually extra Carbo Pro, but the rest is a little tighter.

MaryStellaSara_Wolf
  • Wow.....so you planned for about 50-60% beyond your planned actual need.

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

Sara_Wolf said:
    Wow.....so you planned for about 50-60% beyond your planned actual need.

I've never done anything near that long, but that sounds like a decent rule of thumb to me. You don't know if your cravings will change, you'll end up taking longer than expected, needing more than you expected, something like that. Especially if services were more remote than it sounds like they were on Champlain, I'd rather have too much than run out when something unexpected happens.

dpm50
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

And you never know what will get spilled or contaminated. Better safe than sorry.

dpm50
  • Great write-up, Sarah; seriously detailed! And not a bad swim either :).

ssthomasdpm50
  • swimmer2point0swimmer2point0 Santa Monica, CAMember

Wow, just simply WOW!

• JanetJanet New York, NYMember

Like pretty much everyone here, I followed Sarah’s swim in August via tracker and social media, and was thrilled to follow along virtually as she made her way down and up Champlain. I had put off looking through this documentation until I had enough leisure time to do it justice, and that was tonight—and wow was it worth it! I so enjoyed reading the observers’ accounts and seeing all the photographs and video—what a thorough, and exciting, record of that amazing feat. Thanks for sharing this—I’m bookmarking it to look over again and get inspiration from the next time I’m swimming, or crewing, or observing an event!

evmoBridget