#ssthomasStrong

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited December 2017 in General Discussion

We've been talking a lot about @ssthomas lately, as the newly crowned world record holder for Longest (Continuous, Current-Neutral) Open Water Swim in human history, just a few months ago.

Her swimming feats are already etched in the permanent history of the sport, but what I've appreciated even more is her commitment to the unstated ethics of traditional / no BS old-school open water swimming: suit/cap/goggles, no compromises, full transparency... extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Today she begins her most arduous swim yet... and this one's on dry land, seated.

As the #13 Charter Member of this Forum (which means, early on the first day -- March 12, 2012) - a consistent, long-time contributor who wrote this epic comment, she is as central to this community as anyone ever has been. Even today, she's participating in our discussions.

Sending you strength, Sarah.

KatieBunKelliessthomasKarl_KingerySwimmersuzrlmdavid_barrapavlicovMoComamillerJSwimlakesprayToadStephenrosemarymintSarah4140swimrn62SoloTheSwimmingBrickgregocViveBeneDanSimonelliCathyInCAgrappledunkcourtneypaulkSydneDkejoyceMvGForeverSwimAlex_ArevaloDaveOdc_in_sfAliSwimsLynnkubHelbe

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Thanks @evmo and MSF. Sometimes life sends sharks after us to try and get us to quit. I see no reason to feel sorry for myself, at least not yet anyway. This community is amazing and this sport has brought me so much. I might not be able to really swim for a while, but I'll be counting down the days until I can and am already planning my comeback swim. I'll be counting on all of you to keep me reminded about why I do this. And heck, without 30 hours/week of swimming, maybe I'll have more time to offer you all my two cents. Or, maybe a good time to start on the book everyone's been telling me to write.

Down, not out.

evmoKarl_KingerySwimmersuzrlmdavid_barraIronMikeKarenTtimsrootjendutKatieBunMoComamillerJSwimLynnkublakesprayStephenDoc2dockrosemarymintSarah4140swimrn62SoloTheSwimmingBrickViveBeneDanSimonelliJustSwimcourtneypaulkSydneDJellyfishwhispererbatchesMvGDaveOdc_in_sfAliSwimsHelbe
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

In my prayers! Sending healing thoughts!

I was introduced to "Fight Song" through the video of your Lake Powell swim. I can't find the video, but posting a link to the lyrics. May they give you now, as they gave you then, strength for the journey:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Rachel-platten-fight-song-lyrics

ssthomasBridget
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

Very difficult to hit the "like" button on this post. I will obviously be cheering for you, just like your other incredible marathons.

ssthomasJSwim
  • MoCoMoCo Worcester, MASenior Member

Strength is strength, and you've got that in spades. But so do the rest of us, so if you need to come lean on ours, we're here for you. Sending healing thoughts your way.

curlydpm50SwimUpStreamBridgetssthomas
  • SwimUpStreamSwimUpStream Portland Oregon Member

We are all with you in this journey Sarah and because of that I have a small piece of advice for everyone at MSF. Reach out not just to Sarah, but one another. Share your sadness, grief, and anger for what is happening to our friend. As a Cancer RN, I have spent much of my time caring for my patients family’s and friends, as they wander out to the Nurses Station, distressed, unsure how to help. We need to support each other, so we can support Sarah. I have felt my own world nosedive since Wednesday’s announcement, and I can only imagine the magnitude of the sorrow felt by those in Sarah’s inner circle. If I can help anyone of you cope, it helps Sarah too. Thanks for listening and much appreciation to this forum.

Sarah4140evmoJSwimswimrn62slknightrlmSolowendyv34thelittlemerwookieViveBenedpm50BridgetMoCossthomasCathyInCAJustSwimbatchessuziedodsSpacemanspiffDoc2dock
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

I have spent days watching your tracker, Sarah, you are amazing, and inspiring. Keep fighting the good fight!

dpm50ssthomasDoc2dock
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

Where's the 'love' button?

Doc2dockStephen
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

I thought I'd bump this thread today. Although Sarah's chemo is now been done for about a month, today is the next step in her journey, the surgery. May everyone's thoughts, prayers and good karma be with her today. I couldn't help but think of Jamie Patrick's excellent video of Sarah's Lake Powell swim start at 7:34 point, with the fight song.

JustSwimgrappledunkswimrn62CathyInCAphodgeszohoflystormscurlyCamilleCopelj26SolososophiaphiaStephenBridget
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Healing thoughts! Holding you in light and prayer!

• CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

<3 ya @ssthomas my prayers are in your corner rooting you on!

• LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber

You got this Sarah!

• Thinking of my hero- all my best to you. I hope all goes well and you are back to setting records soon :-)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@ssthomas is swimming the Cook Strait today.

https://track.rs/ssthomas

TMasonlakesprayCopelj26thelittlemerwookierlmMLambySpacemanspiffKate_AlexanderViveBeneSoloKatieBunStephenSara_WolfgregocPasqualecurlyemkhowleyIronMikeJSwimssthomas