Swim Report - Steve Walker - "First to 40"

@SteveWalker's report on his new record for "First to 40" in Aquatic Park SF is available to read here:

https://kb.marathonswimmers.org/index.php/Steve_Walker_-_"First_to_40"_Challenge

phodgeszohossthomasJustSwimJSwimMoCoSwimmersuzTheSwimmingBrickcourtneypaulkswimrn62KatieBunsuziedodsdpm50lotechnotech

Comments

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Awesomeness x 40. :-)

• Ab so frickin lutely amazing. The power of the mind and the strength of "sticking to the plan".

SwimmersuzssthomasChickenOSeaSarah4140dpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

That is pretty full tilt. I'm astounded that you can pull off a half mile sprint at the end of this swim. Really impressive.

One question for the group. Why is there chafing on the neck? What is rubbing or causing this?

dpm50
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited December 2017

An astonishing feat of mental and physical endurance and an excellent write-up. Chapeau, Steve, @SteveWalker to you and your support crew.

dpm50
  • SteveWalkerSteveWalker San FranciscoMember

Hi Curly,

I can take the question about chafing. It is pretty common, although everyone gets rubs in different places (arm pits, back of the neck, shoulder, groin, etc.). Just a little bit of a rub (usually skin on skin or beard on skin) over 1,800 strokes each side per hour can cause a lot of chafing. For me, the worst is on the front of my shoulder from my chin (probably wouldn't be so bad if I had a better stroke). I also get it on the back of my neck (from sighting). This time, the worst was on my breathing side (I usually breathe left) on my neck below and in front of my ear. I wear tegaderm (a big bandaid) but it comes off over time. Vasaline (and lanolin) helps too. I should have grown out my beard (soft beard is good, but stubble is the worst), but it takes about 3 weeks, and I didn't finally decide to do this until I was inside that window. I won't make that mistake again.

..Steve

evmosuziedodscurlyCopelj26dpm50