Upcoming Philly area swims

dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
edited August 2018 in Event Announcements

Hello all,

These are great events for reasonable prices (so you can spend the $ you save on a nice hotel!). :)

Here's a link to a list of this year's events:

http://frenchcreekracing.com/events/

A couple of particular interest to the marathon swimming community:

The Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim and Relay: 8 mile river swim with relay options. Low key, well-organized swim, friendly atmosphere--nice spread of food and beer afterward.

2018 French Creek Racing River Day SwimFest: this consists of three races: a 5k, a mile, and an 800. You can do one, two, or all three. Also a river swim, this starts at a different point than the Bender swim does, but also includes the free food/beer.

For those who like to mix swimming and running: 2018 French Creek Racing SwimRun Challenge: the course consists of a 1k swim/5k run, which you can complete once or twice. Or do the run or swim as stand-alone events. Or draft a friend and do it as a relay.

If you're in town during the week for business or pleasure, you might want to look into the Open Water Swim series. The swims are just a half mile, but if you're in a time crunch and want a quick workout, something to consider:

Finally, for the triathletes, the 2018 French Creek Triathlon offers several choices as well, including sprint and Olympic distances, as well as a relay (Olympic only), and aqua-bike. The swim course is flat--the bike and run courses... well, you all like challenges! :)

Tagged:
IronMikeSwimUpStreamJaimieorcaericAksilcox

Comments

• AksilcoxAksilcox South Central PennsylvaniaMember

This looks like a great event!

dpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Aksilcox said:
    This looks like a great event!

There's a nice listing of swims.... for those who want a quick evening workout after work, the half mile races are fun and followed by a BBQ with beer!

Or go longer and enter the River Day swims.... do the 5k, mile, and/or 800.

Or go longer still and sign up for the Bender Memorial 8 mile swim. I was in that the last couple years but doing the relay this year to help a friend fill her team. Also gives me practice kayaking and supporting other swimmers, something I've been thinking I need to do.

• John_KennyJohn_Kenny Member
    edited August 2018

The Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim is an 8 mile swim, with and against the current in Norristown, PA to be held on 8/31.

To register, go to this link: https://www.imathlete.com/#/legacy?url=/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=67252&z=1534885965839

Enter coupon code, "10BENDER2018" to get 10% off your entry - today only, Tuesday 8/21!

For more details, check out our website: http://frenchcreekracing.com/events/2018-the-charles-bender-memorial-marathon-swim-and-relay-french-creek-racing/

dpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Even if you're too late to get the coupon deal, definitely an affordable race by comparison with many marathon swims! Good people, beautiful setting! I'm doing the relay this year for a different experience. You can draft a friend or three and do that or do that or the whole 8 miles. All good!